t w e n t y f o u r

PEARL

   "I'M done!" I scream distraughtly at my drunken father as I leave the house

   I run, and keep running until I get to my car. My heads pounding and my hearts racing. I can't do it. I don't want to be here.

   I speed down the street waiting for something to keep me from doing what I'm about to do.

   I call Violet, the one person reminding me why I'm still alive.

   The phone rings for a few seconds before I hear a click.

"Hey Pearl what's up."

"Violet," I pause as I catch my breath, "I can't do this."

"What, what do you mean?" I hear a panic in his tone.

I pour my heart out, "Violet whatever happens, I just want to let you know that up to this point you've been so good to me, I lov-" The line cuts off, leaving me with nothing but my own thoughts.

I open the visor at the top of my car, a note spills onto my lap. I open it and read it.

   I hate you!

   I can't do anything about that either, sweetheart.

   Sweetheart? Where did all these pet names come from you weirdo.

   I love the corny pet names. They're cute, you're cute.

   Below the "I love the corny pet names. They're cute, you're cute." Violet writes "I love you." I never saw that part of the note.

I zone out, thinking of him. His smile, his laugh. The way he lights up when you call his name. Then I remember, I'm driving. I drifted into the wrong lane, ahead I see a large truck traveling in my direction. As I'm about to swerve into the right lane, I end up being a second too late. I whisper to myself "I love you too Violet."

   And this time, it's not a dream.

   I don't wake up.