Songbird (Opal)

(Slightly older reader, about 13-14)

It was a cool fall afternoon, there wasn't a cloud in the sky as you were sitting by the lighthouse, a guitar strapped over your back as you overlooked the ocean as the waves crashed below. You admired the view, the sound and the sight of the ocean was always calming for you, even when you played music. You had been taking lessons from Greg, and with nonstop practice, you became quite skilled at it. The gems admired the way you played, but you had bad stage fright. You couldn't perform with anyone who wasn't Steven or the gems, so when you practiced, you had to find a remote spot to do so.

You sigh as you sit down, bringing the guitar over to your lap, plucking the strings and tuning it before playing it. You played one of your favorite songs, playing a soft yet upbeat melody. You play it on your own for a while until you began to sing. "Well, you done done me and you bet I felt it I tried to be chill, but you're so hot that I melted I fell right through the cracks Now I'm trying to get back Before the cool done run out I'll be giving it my bestest And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention. I reckon, it's again my turn To win some or learn some."

Meanwhile, Pearl and Amethyst were outside the door of the temple, arguing about something that happened on their mission. "Amethyst! I told you not to play with the shooting star! You could have caused a serious problem!" Amethyst rolled her eyes, looking at Pearl with an annoyed expression. "Pearl, no one's hurt, why do you care?" Pearl gripped her hair, yelling at Amethyst. "I care because it's dangerous! And I-" She was interrupted when she heard the sound of your guitar playing above them. "Sounds like (y/n)'s playing again." Amethyst smiled looking up. "They've got quite a talent." Pearl smiled and she lit up when she figured out what song it was. "Ooh, I love this song!" Amethyst stretched her arms and put her hands behind her back. "Yeah, It's ok." Pearl hummed along with the melody and sang the chorus as you played it. "But I won't hesitate No more, no more. It cannot wait, I'm yours."

"Why don't we go see (y/n)?" Amethyst suggested as she walked down the stairs with Pearl following behind. "Oh yes, good idea." The pair of gems made their way up the hill, seeing you still playing your guitar, you didn't seem to notice them as you sang the next part of he song. "Well, open up your mind and see like me, Open up your plans and damn you're free. Look into your heart and you'll find love, love, love, love. Listen to the music of the moment, people dance and sing, we're just one big family And it's our God-forsaken right to be loved, loved, loved, loved, loved."

Pearl was mesmerized by how you were playing and so was Amethyst. "(y/n)'s got a good voice, huh P?" Pearl nodded as they listened to you play, sitting on the grass as Pearl hummed along to the song. Amethyst listened as well, sitting beside Pearl and she slightly leaned on her, Pearl allowed it, as they were enjoying a rare moment of peace. "Hey, Pearl?" Pearl looked down towards Amethyst. "Yes?" Amethyst had a blush appear on her face as she fiddled with her hair. "You know who else might enjoy (y/n)'s tunes?" Pearl's eyes widened and and lit up with delight. "Opal?" Amethyst nodded. "If it's ok." Pearl quickly stood up, taking her hand. "Sure, let's do it!"

"So I won't hesitate No more, no more. It cannot wait, I'm sure. There's no need to complicate. Our time is short. This is our fate, I'm yours." You sang the next line, vocalizing with the next bit of the song, singing some more as you were in your comfort zone, as nothing could bother you. You ended the song soon, playing one last chord and you jumped as you heard a woman's gentle voice behind you. "Nicely done, I really like your song." You jump to your feet and turn around, spotting a tall woman with lavender skin and she had four arms, with long white hair tied into a ponytail, from the back and on the sides. She had soft blue eyes and you recognized the shiny pearl gemstone on her forehead as well as the shimmering amethyst gemstone on her chest, leading you to decipher who it was.

"H-hello, you must be Opal." You spoke, looking up at her in amazement and she smiled and chuckled. "Yes, I am, very glad to finally meet you." She approached you, pulling you into a hug, her four slender arms wrapping around your frame. You look up at the fusion as she spoke again. "I- well, Amethyst and Pearl, heard you singing and wanted me to come and hear it. You have such a nice voice, you're very talented, (y/n)." You blush looking up at her, clutching your guitar in your arms. "Th-thanks, and you're very pretty." Opal's face turned a light teal as she smiled. "Well, thank you (y/n). Now, shall we play another song?"

"What song would you like to hear?" You sit down, tuning the guitar in your lap as Opal sat down next to you, still towering over you as she sat there. "Whatever you like, I just want to listen to you sing." You rub your chin, thinking about what song you could play. "Hmm, how about the one I sing with Steven a lot?" You ask curiously, looking up at the tall woman as she smiled. "Absolutely, I like that one." You smile as you strum the guitar, playing a soft gentle melody. Opal only smiled, her arms resting on her knees as she propped her head up with one hand, listening to you as you sang.

"You are my sunshine my only sunshine, you make me happy When sky's are grey You'll never know, dear, How much I love you Please don't take my sunshine away." You pluck the strings of the instrument, the breeze of the wind blowing through your hair, you took quick glances at Opal, her long white hair flowing in the wind, her blue eyes fixed on you. She was absolutely beautiful. You blush, still playing the guitar as you sang the final line of the song, ending the song with a strum. Opal smiled, clapping her hands excitedly.

"Very good! You're so talented, (y/n)." You blush, you weren't used to such a compliment, especially from a tall beauty. "Th-thanks, Opal." Opal smiled, scooting herself closer to you. "May I make a request?" You nod, looking up at the tall fusion. Opal leaned in, whispering her request in your ear. You nod, instantly recognizing the song, it was one of Pearl's favorites. You started playing a slow melody, plucking against the strings as you sang. "I hope you never lose your sense of wonder You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger May you never take one single breath for granted God forbid love ever leave you empty handed" Opal smiled as you sang, singing the next line. "I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance"

"I hope you dance" You and Opal sang that line together, Opal standing up and dancing to the music you were making. You look up at her, feeling mesmerized by her movements as she danced in the sunlight while you sang the next line alone. "I hope you dance" Opal sang the next part as she danced, light on her feet and dancing through the air. "I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance Never settle for the path of least resistance Living might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin' Loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making" She constantly glanced at you, as she was dedicating these lyrics to you.

"Don't let some Hellbent heart leave you bitter When you come close to selling out, reconsider" You sang that line on your own as you watched Opal dance to the music you made. "Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance" Opal sang that line as you stand up and strum your guitar faster, creating a more upbeat lively melody. The both of you sang the next one together, two different lines sung at once. (parenthesis is you) "I hope you dance (Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along) I hope you dance"

"I hope you dance (Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder) I hope you dance (Where those years have gone?)" The two of you sang together, your voices in harmony as you watched Opal dance in the sunlight, the rays reflecting off her lavender skin. She was absolutely beautiful. The both of you sang the rest of the song together, ending the song with a final chord on your guitar. "That was fun, you have a very nice voice." You smile looking up at Opal, she only chuckled and a light blue blush formed on her cheeks. Opal leaned over to you to hug you, her four arms around your body as one hand stroked your hair. As she broke the hug, she leaned in to kiss your forehead, her plump lips feeling soft against your skin.

"Thank you for the little session, (y/n). I hope to see you again soon. If you need me, just ask." She smiled, you smile back and nod, looking up at her as she defused, a bright light appearing showing Pearl and Amethyst just standing there. "Opal is beautiful!" You exclaim, stars in your eyes. Pearl only blushed and chuckled. "Oh, thanks (y/n)." Amethyst walked over and gave you a hug. "I know, she's awesome!" Pearl came over to join the hug as you put an arm around both of the gems. "I love you guys." You smile, blushing a little as Amethyst just squeezed you a bit. "Oh, cut that out, ya little cutie." Pearl just chuckled as she kissed your forehead. "We love you too."