Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Katniss's POV

I dread walking to school because I don't want to talk about the kiss with Peeta, that we shared last last night. Today was Friday and I was so ready to go fishing with Gale on Saturday. When I leave the house Peeta's about a foot ahead of me. I don't speed up or talk to him I try to stay as quiet as I can but he looks back and walks back to me.
"Hey, Katniss." he says.
"Hello, Peeta."
"Look I know that we really are not dating but everybody's coming over to my place to sleep over. There will be games, clean drinks, and good food. You can come come if you want. If you don't want to come over I can tell them you're hanging out with Gale or something." He says shy like.
"I can come over its not like my moms going to be home so I guess I'll be there." I look at the ground trying not to think about the kiss. "I just hope I don't kiss-I m-mean miss anything fun at my house." I stutter not thinking. He looks at me and blushes a deep red.
"About the kiss," he says.
"It's just professional, right?" I ask him.
"Yeah, duh! Everdeen." he says using my last name like he use to when he talked to me before all of this happened.
"Of course, Mellark." I say. Then there's an awkward silence. We're almost to school when he holds out his hand. I give him a questioned look and he says.
"Look if we're walking together and are not holding hands they're going to suspect something." I nod and take his hand. We continue to walk and when we can see the group he squeezes my hand.
"Laugh like I said something funny." Then I grow a smile and laugh for a minute. We enter the school grounds and we make our way over to the school out yard tables. The whole groups there, he sits down but I see Gale and say to Peeta. "I go to go baby, I have to talk to Gale about or fishing trip tomorrow,"
"Okay, bye." he gives me a quick kiss on the lips and I walk over to Gale.
"Hey, Gale we still on for tomorrow?" I ask him smiling.
"You know it, the greatest fishing trip of all time. Is it okay if a few people join us?"
"Duh, the more the merrier."
"Awesome! Darius and Antonio are coming." He says.
"Awesome my other two favorite guys!" I say. he smiles and then the bell rings.
"I got to get to class, I'll see ya later." I say to him.
"Bye," then I head to my first hour.

I sit thru the first few hours not really caring about we do and then when I get to lunch I try to sit with Gale again but Glimmer grabs my arm and pulls me to they're table again. I sit by Peeta and Finnick.
"Ya know we never really did get the low down on your first kiss," Finnick whispers in my ear.
"I told you, what I wanted if you want more detail, ask Peeta." Peeta hears his name and puts his arm around me and says.
"Finnick, why are you tormenting my girl." he has a smile on his face and I've never really seen that smile since... well never.
"Yeah, I wouldn't lose this one, she's a keeper," Finnick says.
"You bet," he says tightening his grip. Half of my head says that this isn't right, but the other part just reminds me about how I thought about the kiss. I scowl at my food then wipe my emotions off my face and say.
"I'm done," I get up but don't give him a kiss. I finish eating and then dump my tray. I walk over to Gale's table and see them all laughing.
"Hey, Catnip." Gale says.
"Hi, Gale,"
"What's wrong kid?"
"I'm just... confused about some feelings."
"Whoa! Girl hormones, sorry Catnip I can't help I don't do girl drama." the rest of the guys just laugh.
"Thanks," I say. The bell rings and I say. "I got to go I'll talk to ya later." he smiles at me and I walk to go to my fifth hour class. I am so hungry I haven't eaten lunch for like three days since I started 'dating' Peeta because they always me upset or I don't feel conformable around them. I don't really want to go to class so I go to the roof of the school. I look out on the horizon and wish I could talk to my dad. I sink down to my knees and say. "What do you think about Peeta?" I ask him out loud. I can feel the tears stain my cheeks. "I don't know what to do! Ever since the kiss I haven't been able to just focus on Gale. Every time I look at Gale I compare him to Peeta then am disgusted with myself I'm suppose to hate him but when he kissed me it started a spark that can't be extinguished. Some times I wonder if God did you a favor. Mom's worse she doesn't come home hardly, she doesn't even stick around long enough for me to tell her about Peeta. I really wish I could talk to you, feel your embrace, and see how protective you would get," I say cracking a smile at my last reason. "I know what you would say, 'Katniss Everdeen! Get to class this instant!' I'm going dad nice talking to you... again." I say then head to my sixth hour.