Chapter Eight

Chapter 8

Katniss's POV

I sit by the wind tears silently falling. I'm sitting on Peeta's balcony while the rest of them are enjoying this sleep over. I honestly can't remember feeling this shattered except when my dad died. After Cato left I walked up the stairs and found myself on this bench. Cato is graduating early because he got a full ride scholarship to Princeton. He was moving to the college and was finishing high school there. I'm interrupted by the French doors being open. I have a feeling it's Finnick or Annie.

"I'm really not in the mood for your sympathy." I snap.

"Katniss, it's me Peeta. I have to tell you something." he sits next to me on the bench.

"The only reason I had this slumber party is because I wanted to wreck your relationship with Cato. It was suppose to go down after the kiss, but Cato left. I saw you walk up her crying and didn't know what to say. I'm sorry. I don't know why I was so selfish. I just wanted you to be in my arms again. I miss kissing you, hugging you, comforting you, just loving you." he says holding his head. I don't know how to response so I do what I do best. I shut him out.

"Peeta, I just got dumped. I need time to myself. Leave." I say harshly. I don't hear him leave and turn around screaming

"Leave me be!" to no one. When I see that he actually left I put my head into my hands and cry, for once since my dad died. I cry for Cato, my dad, losing Gale, losing Peeta, I cry for everything that is painful in the world.

Peeta's POV

I walk down the stairs after Katniss told me to leave. Finnick and Annie look at me with expected glances but I just say.

"She wants-needs to be alone." I don't wait for the others but go to my room to sleep. I fall asleep thinking about Katniss.

I hear my door creak open and see my room flood with light. I turn over to the door squinting. She's standing in my door way with red eyes and a large blue shirt on. She starts to sniff and says. "I tried to handle it by myself but I can't." I sit up and open my arms. She walks over to me and instantly starts to cry into my chest. I hear her soft howls and say.

"Is this because of your nightmares or about Cato."

"Both," she says into my chest. I pull my covers back and pull her into the bed. She stops howling but I can feel my shirt dripping with water as she silently cries into my shirt. Finally her grip on my shirt goes limp and I hear her slow rhythmic breathing. I smile down at her angelic face. I lean down trying not to wake her up and kiss her temple. When I fall asleep I have my arm around her shoulder with her head on my chest.

I can feel the sun on my face, I wake up to a beautiful face. Why is my shirt off? Oh yeah, duh I fell asleep when Katniss came to sleep with me. I look down and see her smiling at me.

"Hey, Katniss." she looks up at me and smiles.

"Hi Peeta."

"No nightmares?"

"No nightmares," she tells me.

Katniss's clothes are downstairs so I give her one of my shirts to wear. She looks so cute wearing it. It goes past her thighs and she looks like she is uncomfortable but I wrap her in a hug and kiss her cheek. "You look fine-"

"Hey Peeta when are you going to make breakfast- whoa sorry did not mean to interrupt." Finnick says covering his eyes. "Why are you wearing Peeta's shirt? Did you two-"

"Finnick shut up, we didn't 'do it' she had a nightmare and showed up at my door."

"That still doesn't explain the shirt." he says with his lips curling into a smile.

"Her clothes are downstairs. Now do you believe me?" I ask him.

"Yeah, whatever. But seriously when's breakfast?" he asks me.

"I'm coming down!" I shout at him. He leaves chuckling and I turn to Katniss.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna shower." she tells me. I give her a kiss on the cheek and walk down stairs.

_________________

I know it's not epically long but I need eighty votes now and if I get one hundred I might add a Cato or Gales POV. Have a nice day (or night) Love Lauren.