Fever

*This chapter is based on the chapter 27 of the manga 'Kakao 79%' by Aoi Umi.*

***

"I'm really sorry, Jack. You and your family are supposed to have fun at the funfair, but I'm troubling you with my daughter instead." Mrs. Arens apologized.

"No, it's alright. Emma and Emily are the one who really wanted to." Emma and Emily are his twin younger sister.

"Thank you, Jack." She gave Jack a hug and walked out of the house. He locked the door to prevent anything bad to happen. Well, criminals were everywhere nowadays.

He went to the kitchen and took the tray on the table. It had a bowl of porridge and herbal tea that Elsa's mother made before she went to work. He walked upstairs and knocked on Elsa's door.

"Elsa, I'm coming in." He peeked inside and saw Elsa was sleeping soundly on her bed. He put the tray on the night stand and sat next to her.

"How did you got a fever? Wake up quickly and get well soon, okay?" She was his childhood friend. In fact, his only friend.

He was not like the other kids that know how to make friends. He would usually sit at the corner of the room, doing his own thing alone. Even until now, it was a rare sight to see him talking to people other than his family and Elsa's.

And through the years they had been growing up together, Elsa had grown to be a woman. Her face, her body, her voice. They were more feminine than how she was when she was a kid. He was a man after all, of course he had those feelings.

He touched her forehead. It was still hot so he put the wet cloth on her forehead.

She was half conscious. When she heard the familiar voice, it was somehow comforting. Then a cold hand touched her forehead, it made her feel relax.

'Who is it? Mum? Or brother? There shouldn't be anyone home now.'

She was curious so she opened her eyes. She sat up slowly. Her body felt heavy and weak.

"Oh, you're awake! How are you feeling?" He asked her.

"Huh? What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at the funfair?"

"Duh, I didn't go. That's why I'm here. To take care of you."

"Aww, you do care." She teased him.

"Hey, that's my line!" He said throwing an eraser at her. He was doing his homework on the desk.

"So, you're the only one who didn't go?" She felt a bit guilty.

"Yeah, it's not like I wanted to go, don't worry." He points at the porridge on the night stand, "Wanna eat?"

"Don't wanna..." She said playfully. He chuckled.

"I'll eat it then." He smirked.

'Damn, that smirk...' she thought. She always fell for his smirk.

"I hope it's piping hot that you'll burn your tongue." He glared at her. He put the tray on her lap.

"Great. You should be able to eat if you're energetic enough to say those spiteful things." She laughed. She flinched when he suddenly touched her cheek. She could feel her cheek heating up.

"Your body is still hot. Wait, when was the last time you got a fever?" He tapped his index finger on his chin, "I can't remember. I warned you yesterday! You were playing in the rain for too long!"

Then he looked at her mischievously. "The Overland family was so disappointed that one of their member couldn't join them. You should immediately apologised to us. Treat us dinner, buy us new clothes, clean our hou- Ouchh!!"

He rubbed his nose. She punched him in the face, but it wasn't that hard. He was exaggerating.

"O-Okay. You're super lively now. Be obedient and eat the porridge." He mumbled, "I'll go get some ice for my nose."

When he got back into the room, he could hear Elsa crying. He became panic.

'Did I say something wrong?'

"E-Elsa... are you okay? D-Did I-"

"Jack..." She sniffed.

"W-What is it?"

"Jack!!!" She cried harder.

"Elsa...." She had been calling his name.

"Jack Frost Winter Park!! I wanna go there!!" She whined like a child.

'I thought you were calling my name...' He poker-faced.

"What?" He asked her disbelieving.

"For the upcoming winter event, they're giving free chocolates for everyone that goes there today... I have been waiting for it like forever!"

"That's what you after?!"

"Yeah! I have no reason not to go! I even dreamed about it yesterday. It was a really beautiful dream. All the chocolates were dancin-" He put his index finger on her forehead and pushed her down to lay on the bed.

"Go. To. Sleep. Sleep, so your cold and your idiotic brain will heal." He sighed, "Sorry that you have to spend this day with someone like me. I'll buy you some chocolates. So wait a minute."

She stopped him by pulling his sleeve.

"No!! That's not it! That's not it at all... Sorry... I'm happy you're here with me! So don't go pleas-" She fainted.

"Hey! Are you alright? Elsa!!" This gorilla is troublesome!

-

He sat on the floor beside the bed. He held her hand and looked at her wrist.

"Make sure you notice this when you wake up, Snowflake." He repaired the bracelet that he gave her on her birthday. She broke it while she was sleeping yesterday. She slept really rough that if you slept with her, you might ended up on the floor in the morning.

She didn't stop crying when the bracelet broke. So, he decided to repair it for her.

***

Edited 😉

-zZz🐇