12.

"These are from," Grant hesitates so he can read the card attached to one of the many bouquets of flowers he is holding. "Dr. Anderson."

He sets the bundle of purple tulips on my desk. I smile weakly because I am so drained. My surgery is in an hour and depending on how it goes, I may be seeing Grant tomorrow morning or never again. 

"And these are from me," he says holding up a bundle of sunflowers. 

"Aw thanks," I say in a scratchy voice. 

"These are from," he cuts himself off and shakes his head jokingly. "Danielle. I swear she's obsessed with you."

I laugh but immediately regret that decision when a sharp pain stabs my diaphram. 

"And these are from the CW," Grant tells me with a smirk on his face.

"What," I ask quietly. 

"I may have submitted your novel to my boss and he maybe have just hired you as The Flash's executive writer. And by maybe I mean he totally did."

"Oh my god for real!?" I squeal as best as I can. Grant nods. "Come here."

He walks over to me and pull his head down to meet mine. He hugs me tightly. In my head I know that I probably won't be able to take the job but it's still nice to have a little excitement. 

When Barbie comes in to prep me for surgery I observe Grant's movements. He smiles at me but I can tell how upset he is. I can't believe that he's even holding it together; if the tables were turned I would be freaking out, screaming and crying. He sits at the end of my bed looking in his lap. I see him struggling to control his fear and it kills me. 

I softly grab Barb's wrist and ask her to give us the room. She nod and tells me I have only a few minutes. Even after she leaves Grant doesn't say a word, he just sits and pretends to be okay. I used to do that- pretend everything was fine when it wasn't. Taking a feeling and shoving it so deep down that it barely exists, keyword being barely. 

"Cupcake," I say softly trying to get his attention. He looks up at me with sad eyes. "Why aren't you talking to me?"

"I don't know what to say," he says swallowing. He moves and sits next to me; he puts his head in my lap and I run my hand through his hair. 

"Promise me something," I say bending down to plant a kiss on his cheek. He turns his head to look at me. 

"What is it?"

"If I don't wake up within forty-eight hours or if I'm brain dead, you leave. I don't want you here when I die," I tell him. He looks at me like I have grown two heads. 

"How could you ask me to do that?"

"I just would hate to be the reason that your life turns upside down."

"Mare you have already made my life turn upside down," he counters. I gasp silently, shocked at his sudden outburst. "But that's not necessarily a bad thing." 

"I don't understand."

"Before I met you, I never really liked anyone else like this before. I have always just been set up with someone for publicity or just to not be alone. And then you come along and I fall for you."

"Actually I fell for you," I say smiling gingerly. "Literally."

"Why do you always ruin the moment?"

I shrug. "I'm Marybeth Adams."

He shakes his head but can't help the smile that spreads across his face. He kisses my neck but I retaliate because of my ticklish skin. He moves his lips to kiss my hairless head. I look in my lap ashamed of the way I look. Grant realizes this and lifts my chin with his finger. He looks straight into my dark eyes with his sparkly ones. 

"I don't understand," he says looking at me in fascination. 

"What don't you understand?"

He softly kisses my lips but only for a quick second. "I don't understand how you can lose all of your hair and still look this sensational." 

"Aw," I say sarcastically even though I mean it. "How did I deserve such an amazing Cupcake like you."

Instead of answering he just presses his lips to mine. A symphony plays in my head and fireworks light in my mouth. I lay back pulling him with me. Just then Dr. Anderson walks in the room and coughs. Grant jumps off my bed and falls straight on his butt. As embarrassed as I am, I can't help but laugh at Grant who is now just sitting stunned on the floor. My laughter dies down when I realize why the Doc have come. 

"Time to cut me open already Doc?"

"I'm afraid so," he responds. Grant gets up off the floor. I get out of bed and walk over to the gurney that will transport me to the operating room. My two favorite nurses and Doctor Anderson and Grant Gustin all walk me through the hallway towards the OR. 

"Sorry Son, this is as far as you can go."

Grant nods and then looks at me worried. I raise my hand to his cheek and smile.

"Hey, you'll be fine," I assure him. 

"It's not me I am worried about," he says blinking away the salty tears that threaten to fall from his eyes. I kiss him normally, as if I was just driving to the store to get dinner and I would be back in half and hour. 

"I love you so much," he tells me. I nod.

"I know Cupcake. I love you too," I exclaim. "See you later?"

He nods, not being able to speak. "See you later."

I am rolled down the rest of the restricted hallway. Barbie looks down at me sadly. "You didn't say goodbye?"

"No, I didn't know how Barb."

Goodbyes are the most painful things to do, especially if you can't explain it in words. 

***

A/N: Hey guys Happy New Year!!

Want to read an original fanfiction? A break from the romance maybe? Then read my fanfiction Suddenly Super!

And please don't forget to vote!