24.

The second my life starts to look up, something is there to knock it all down. I've noticed this pattern in my life. Meet Grant, cancer. Get pregnant, premature baby. The start of a healthy family, my best friend dies. 

I'm sitting in front of an open casket, staring into the closed eyes of my seven year long nurse. Her short hair has been combed and done. She looks almost peaceful in her state of stillness.

A tear streams down Grant's cheek but not mine. I don't know what to feel or how to feel. I get up and walk to a podium, ready to give my speech.

"Barbie," I say flattening my dress with my palms. "Was a... She fulfilled... She.."

I stop. This all feels wrong. I shouldn't be reading a speech from note cards at my best friend's funeral right now. This isn't the time. I put the cards away and start to speak freely.

"Wow," I choke. "Barbie had a really stressful life." I laugh trying to avoid my sadness. "She was a nurse, and that has its own amount of stress, but she was more than that. She was a mother to her own kids as well as a mother to me. She took care of me for seven years. She laughed with me and cried with me. When I met Grant she worried for my heart and my mind. She gave me advice when I needed it and when I didn't. 

"I remember once, last year, I had written a message at the end of a letter. It said 'There are no wrong turns, for every turn you make is right because you made it.'

"I feel this explains Barb's life perfectly. She would come to her night shift deeply upset, explaining to me that she had just had a fight with her husband or son. The next day, or the sun after that, she would tell me that she had resolved her problem and that she had learned from her mistake. There is no such thing as a wrong turn in life. Whether you lose a bet and have to take another nurse's shift- my shift- or you... bump into someone in a hospital lobby.

"To me she was my mother. I remember her speech at my wedding, how she embarrassed me a multitude of times. And when my beautiful baby girl was born she came to see me, to tell me everything would be okay.

"She told me that love could get me through anything. So, everyone who mourns the loss of our beloved today, let us send our love to each other, for love is what bonds us.

"That's what Barbie taught me. Love holds us together, love makes us stronger."

The End

A/N: THERE WILL BE BONUS CHAPTERS

Okay so I decided to end this here because I liked the theme that it ended with. But I have some more like updates that I would like to add just to check up on Grant and Mare. 

Also thank you to KatieHughes342 for giving me ideas to make the plot develop better. 

She also has a great G. Gustin fanfic that you should all read!

One last thing- HAPPY B-DAY TO GRANT GUSTIN! 1/14/17!