chapter 15

Chapter 15

"Naomi...you naughty little girl get over here."

Little Naomi hide behind her father's chair, eyeing him from the cover of her eye. Naomi and her father would always play hide-and-seek whenever her father came back from work. Her father stood in the middle of his room, his hand cupping his chin with the palm of his hand as if he were ponder something. Naomi giggled silently, as she watched her father look around his study.

"Naomi...Naomi...where is my little girl."

Naomi smiled and continued to watch her father's while he moved about the room searching for her. His big brown eyes and his gentle smile was one of the many things she loved about her father. Especially when the light shined upon his bald head, she'd call him Mr. Light Bald. Her mother would often say he reminded her of a tall handsome milk chocolate coated Mr. Clean.

"I guess my daughter doesn't love me," he sighed.

"Yes I do!" Naomi gasped as she covered her mouth with both of her hands, realizing that she had easily given off her position.

"There you are!" Her father raced behind the chair and caught Naomi around her waist lifting her into his arms. "Looks like you fell for Daddy's trick."

"No fair!"

"Nothing's ever fair in this world baby doll..."

Naomi pouted and stuck her tongue out and her father kissed her on the cheek. "I hate you!" She crossed her arms against her chest and father smiled.

"You won't hate me after I give you this," he placed Naomi on the floor and kneeled before her. "This is a good luck charm, don't ever lose it." He pulled out a gold locket and smiled as Naomi eye grew with surprise.

"It's so pretty!" Naomi yelled.

Her father laughed and placed the necklace onto her neck. Naomi's hand touched the locket and hugged her dad. "Thank you daddy," she kissed him on the cheek.

"Your mother has one too. When the time is right, you'll know what to do."

"Daddy, I don't get it," she titled her head to the side and her father held her tighter than before. She could hear her father's heartbeat faster within his chest and his lips kissing the top of her head. "I love you baby doll."

"I love you too Daddy."

"Always listen to your mother okay."

"Yes Sir!" She saluted him.

"That's my girl."

He picked her up and continued to kiss her cheeks over and over again. She giggled within his arms. The feeling of happiness brewing within her chest.

"Daddy..." Tears trailed down her checks as her eyes slowly opened. Naomi remembered that day like it was no other. It was a week before her father had been shot. Naomi thought that she had clearly forgotten everything that happened before the murder. Shock and trauma had plagued her for years. She held all the sorrow and pain all by herself. She never once cried in front of her mother since then. Nor had she ever worn that locket again. It always laid within her locked jewelry box, collecting dust.  Naomi tried desperately to stop the tears from coming but it was inevitable. All those years of holding it in, was finally releasing itself like a dam breaking under the pressure of rushing water.

Naomi's eyes scanned the room around her. It was completely dark around her. She needed to go back to sleep, there was no use in staying up. But at the same time, she hoped she wouldn't dream of her father again. She laid there on the bed, with her eyes staring at the ceiling. Silent tears continued to floor down the sides of her cheeks. Naomi eventually gave up on trying to wipe them away.