Best Friend (KaRa)

There I was sitting on the bench here in our condo's balcony. She promised that she would be home an hour before Christmas. She was busy doing her work, and when I say busy, she is really busy. The last talk we had was before the start of Misa de Gallo. Before she walked away from our door she told me that we'll celebrate Christmas together, so I stayed in our condo and just told my family that I will be home tomorrow afternoon to celebrate with them.

It was already 5 minutes past 12 o'clock when I felt my phone vibrating.

"Merry Christmas" I said upon answering her call.

"Merry Christmas din! Hindi na ako makakapunta ngayon jan, change of plans. Sa new year nalang nagkaemergency lang" she said in a loud tone.

I can hear noises in the background, maybe they are asked to extend their stay and just celebrate on their own. Before I was able to answer back she already ended the call. I held my tears back, I know she wanted to celebrate with me but couldn't.

I sat on our couch and kept convincing myself that it was a valid reason. I went to our dining room, sat on my chair and stared blankly at the foods I prepared.

My phone rang once again so I stood up and run where my phone is hoping she'd be able to talk to me while I'm eating, but it was not her.

"Merry Christmas Ye!" she said happily.

"Merry Christmas din Ara." I replied.

She asked me how my Christmas was and I cannot lie to my best friend. She's like the female version of Sherlock so I wouldn't even bother to make stories. I told her everything then she hanged up.

I guess she doesn't want to hear anymore drama from me. I silently cried, not because I am alone this Christmas but because I feel sorry for myself.

I heard a knock on my door, I hastily run to my door and opened it cheerfully, but once again it was not her.

"Di ka ba masayang makita ako?" she asked with a sad tone.

"Uyy hindi, thank you. Bakit ka nandito?" I asked with confusion.

"Kumain na ko with my family kaya okay lang sa kanila na umalis ako para samahan ka. They think of you as part of our family naman kaya okay lang sa kanila." She said while opening a bottle of beer.

"Hindi mo naman kailangan gawin yun Ara." I replied.

"But I want to. No more buts. Kumain ka na ba?" She said with full authority. I guess I can't argue anymore with her.

"Not yet." I replied. Honestly, I don't have the appetite to eat anymore.

"Kumain ka muna para makapag-inom na tayo" she said as she started to put some foods in a plate and handed it over to me.

I sat and started eating. The area was filled with silence, and it was deafening. When I finished my food, Ara also finished her first bottle. Then she opened two more and handed one to me.

"Cheers!" we said in chorus.

All we did was watch movies and drink. She brought way too many bottles but we still ended up drinking all. I thought I was the problematic one here but she drunk twice more than what I had.

I felt her head on my shoulders. I looked at her and saw her sleeping already. I rest my head on hers. I am glad that she's here.

--

New Year's Eve

I was excited to see her. She promised me that she'd be home today. I watched the sunset on our balcony as I wait for her. I love watching the sunset because it reminds us that no matter what happens, every day could end up beautifully.