Chapter Six

Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave.”

I sat on the ground staring at the letter that was laying in my hands. Could he really mean everything that he wrote to me? I felt tears beginning to form, and I chocked them back. I bit my lip, pulling myself up form the ground. I tucked the letter into the bust of my dress, and walked toward the backdoor of the house. I could hear muffling noises, and I stopped, listening carefully.

“Camille, is catching on.” It was my mother.

“What do you mean?” And Mr. Madison.

“I walked in the library the other day, she had passed out on the couch, the books she was reading were the ones that her father left different messages in, codes, clues, anything that could lead her straight to them. To her death, Herb. We have to tell them, I mean, Lucas knows bits and pieces, that is why he is with Serena, but both of them need to know everything about them.”

My heart stopped beating. What was my mother saying? “I know, and Lucas never let’s me forget it, but I keep explaining to him, it is the only way to keep Camille safe, but he doesn’t believe me, he keeps saying I am doing it for personal gain... There is no gain out of watching your child not be happy.” Mr. Madison sounded stuck in a rut, and I could hear my mother mumbling to herself. 

“How will I explain to my daughter, that she is wanted for dead. That there is men out there, that believe whatever things she has in her head, is nothing more then a key?” 

Now i was confused, my father’s notes, my mother’s words, everything. Nothing mad sense. I wanted to pick up my skirts and run, but where to? To Lucas? Who was spoken for? For Aiden who had no idea what I would be upset about. I sat on the ground, keeping myself quiet, so they wouldn’t know I was there. 

My father had mentioned that these men, whoever they were, were not good. It reminded me of the high society of London, the people who every time I saw them, I felt like I was being fed to the lions, not to people who were my “friends.” 

"Herb, what are we going to do?"

"Maybe it is best to let it settle for now, till after my daughter's wedding to Darius, maybe things will begin to return to normal, and this will disappear?" Okay, now that explains a lot if Darius is part of this confusing mess of lies...

"I hope your right, Herb, because watching my daughter suffer over those books of my husbands, and watching her loose her heart over Lucas, it is only so much a mother can take." I heart her pop the lid off a brandy bottle, pouring it into a glass. My mother is drinking? I pulled my knees to my chest, and I could feel Lucas's note in my chest. 

"I know, but don't drive yourself crazy, we will figure this out..." 

"He said the same thing, but you must get going, Herb, before it is to late, and I will finish these papers, and this bottle maybe." My mother chocked a fake laugh back, before I heard Herb depart her study. I found my way off the floor, and into the hallway, trying to gather my thoughts. I could hear Aiden upstairs moving about. Maybe I should go see him, talk to him, but part of me was holding back. I picked up my skirts, hurrying up the stairs. I shut my door behind me, before leaning in front of my desk. Underneath my journals, and books, I could see it, the small brown box, with the ship engraving on it. It held all my letters, the letters from Lucas. I pulled it out, sitting it on my lap. I touched them, each of them now crinkled with time. 

I pulled the one he gave me from my chest, laying it on top. Why did this have to be taking over our lives, over the thing I had held onto for so many years. But that is when I noticed something tapped to the bottom of my desk. 

I sat the box to the side, reaching underneath. I pulled it down, and felt the paper. The paper was my father's personal stationary. I gasped, biting my lip, unfolding the perfect paper, 

My dearest Kitten, 

If you are reading this, I am gone. And you are starting to put the pieces together. I am so sorry to have left you at such a young age. You must know that choosing to leave on that trading trip was the only way I could keep you, your mother, and your brother safe for just a little bit longer. You are the reason, I am writing this now. Your mother will try to protect you. But you must know, these men, aren't just your normal tradesmen. They have a secret agenda and we have been put on it. Maybe it was my fault, or even Herb's but we choose to keep our buisness alive. Never knowing that it could cost us our children. But understand, within London's society, there is people you can't trust, people who you can, and people you haven't even begun to imagine just yet. But I know if you are reading this letter, you are heartbroken. What Lucas is doing, is the only way that Herb knows to keep him, and most likely you safe at this moment. But don't doubt the love that boy shares for you, because you are always going to be his sweetheart. I know that, for a fact. But I need you to promise me something, kitten. You will unravel this mystery. I have complete faith that you will learn what each of my clues mean, that Lucas will help you, and that you will save me from what happened. 

I love you Camille. And you are my darling princess, adventurer, and daughter.

Love,

Your father..

The only worlds my brain and lips could function between the tears, were "I promise, father."