Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15:

“Better lock it in your pocket taking this one to the grave.”

By the time the masquerade had arrived, most of the bruises were mostly gone, or barely noticeable. But the painful experience on my mind, would never go away. Henry was just as Sebastian and my father had warned. Evil, with a way of covering everything up. He wanted the business and the only part of the puzzle left for me to figure out, was why? I slid the undergarments up over my hips and prayed that Nani wouldn’t see the bruises as we got ready for the ball today. “Are you ready for me to come in?” She knocked at my door, and I sighed.

“Yes Nani, and my water is ready to go.” I had taken a long bath, to get ready for the night ahead of me. My mother believed it would seal my fate with Henry, I believed it sealed my date with the devil.

Nani bounced in the room humming a merry tune, as she stood me up in the middle of the grabbing a petticoat from the bed. “You will be wear this, along with one more, to bring your skirt to full.” I nodded, not seeming to care at all. She tied the first to my lower hips, then brought the second over my head tying it my upper hip. My lower half of my body sunk, feeling the weight of the two skirts, they sunk right into the bruises make me cringe in pain. I lifted my arms as the corset slipped around my body and she had me hold onto my bed post as she tightened it to the point, my bust was touching my chin, and I couldn’t breathe. “Now the dress, Miss, by the way it is quite beautiful, but wait till you see the mask your mother choose.” I closed my eyes, I had not seen the dress since the picture the seamstress showed me. I felt the gown fall across the petticoats, and I touched the soft fabric. Nani led me to my stool and had me sit, as she began to braid my hair to either side tying the mask in along my hair. When she was finished she slipped to small black heels on my feet and helped me up leading me to my mirror.

The girl staring back at me, wore a gorgeous black dress that fell and cascaded into a train, along with a gorgeous black mask. I smiled looking side to side at my reflection, "thank you Nani."

"You are welcome, now hurry yourself along, everyone is waiting downstairs." I smiled, and picked my skirts up, walking slowly down the stairs, hoping not to trip. My mother stood in a blood red dress that didn't flow, rather clung to her body, with a white mask hiding half of her face. My brother stood in a brown suit, with a wooden mask that quite honestly reminded me of a tree. "You look breathe taking, kitten," My mother smiled, holding her small clutch to her side. "The carriage is ready, I am so excited for you tonight, my dear." She patted my hand, then turned to Aiden, "And for you, I do know tonight you are asking for Miss. Rhett's hand in marriage." She squeezed both our hands, "We have come so far, my children." 

"You're asking for her hand?" My voice cracked, someone I had onced shared everything with, told me nothing about the most important day of his life. Aiden just nodded, leading my mother and myself toward the carriage. The Calstons', I had recently learned from Rose, owned half of the English countryside, along with Darius's family. I had nodded along to the coversation as Rose described the Calston Estate to me, without really imagining it till we arrived. A stone buildling with gargoyles over head. It was rather creepy, then beautiful. When the carriage stopped, my mother and brother hurried ahead of me. My mother to find Mrs. Madison, and my brother to find Olivia. I was to enter by myself and down the stairs to Henry. I saw Sebastian arriving holding, whom I guess was his sister's hand. Since she was quite young, 15 at most, wearing a pink dress with a feather mask. His mask hung around his neck, it was black with a giant nose to it. I looked away getting caught looking was not what I needed. 

"Miss. Camille?" I looked up to a footsman, holding a small red box. "This is for you." He held it out, opening it from the top. Inside was a diamond necklace with a note, that wrote, "Remember, our small secret, I hope this will make you remember your place, dear." I gulped, feeling a knot in my chest.