Chapter Seven

*Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave*

The words of what my father said rang through my head. I tried to think to myself about everything I just read. What Lucas had said. I wanted to find an escape. I sat on my bed,with my knees to my chest. It was the next morning, and I hadn’t slept, I just reread the note, over and over again. I heard a knock on the door, “Who is it?”

“Me, kitten.”  It was my mother’s voice on the other side of the door,

“Come in.” I smiled at her as she entered, with her long hair pulled on top of her hair, with a lace dress. 

“How are you today?”

“I am well, how are you mother?”

“I am good, we just received the official invitation to Rose’s wedding. But we need to take you over there, so we can get your maid of honors dress.” She patted my hand, I looked at my ordinary day dress.

“Should I change?”

“No, that should be fine, dear.” She helped me off the bed and pulled me out of my room, my comfort zone. 

The carriage ride to meet Rose at the tailors was terrible. And what made it worse... was who I saw as I entered the shop. Serena stood, beautifully in a pink dress that clung to her body. I felt a urge to just cry from jealously. My father’s words rang in my head, and I felt the note inside my bust, tucked in. I knew that when I turned to my right, I would come face to face with Lucas. He sat beside his father, wearing a suit that was much to big on him. I nodded toward them, before rushing to Rose, hugging her. “What does your dress look like?” She smiled and gave me a wink.

“You shall see.” I could tell she was standing up for to long, and was beginning to loose her color. 

“I cannot wait,” Serena stood behind me, speaking with Lucas in hush tones, and kept staring at me.I felt my heart pick up a new speed and I adjusted my weight. “Well, lets see my dress?”

She turned to the owner and asked her to fetch my dress so I could try it on. I watched as she carried over a light blue dress with white accents. “It’s beautiful Rose!” I smiled and touched the fabric. 

“Come, Miss, we will get you into the dress.” I stepped behind the wall, pulling off my dress, and kept the note tucked into my corset as she pulled the new dress over. For the majority of it, it fit perfect, just too long. She asked me to step out onto the stool so she could pin it up. As i entered the main room, Lucas watched me carefully. I could see Serena watching me too.

“You look beautiful.” Rose squeezed my hands, “I am gonna try on my dress.” 

“I smiled at her, and waited till Serena left the room. I stepped off the stool, my mother and Herb were talking outside. “Lucas,” He turned and faced me.

“Yes, Camille?”

“Here.” I reached in my corset, and handed him the note, “Read this, and please give it back to me. I need you tell me what you know. But not here.” As soon as the note was in his hand, Rose stepped out into the main room, with a giant dress, that covered her up, from her scars but showed her curves and her beauty. I smiled softly at her, realizing how grown up she was now, but part of me wondered if Darius really loved her or if this was just another way to protect us from whatever my father warned me about...