Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

"'Cause two can keep a secret if one of them is dead."

"What do you mean you have a job on a ship?"

'Your mother... before she realized anything about us. She offered a job, traveling with the ship. I would be in charge. She thought it would be the only way to repay me, when in reality it isn't... But I cannot let this job go. I need it, Camille." He reached for my hand, and I moved it away.. 

"I am just suppose to let you go?" I whispered, "And not go with you?"

I looked up, and touched his arm. "You cannot go with me? You have a life here." 

"A life, I wish to get away from." I mumbled to myself, and looked down at my scars that were forming. Battle wounds from a man, I was to marry. And I thought of the life I had, and those who died for me, and died because of a small thing I started. I looked down and then back up at Sebastian, and felt him watching me.

"Why?"

"Because, it will give me time to plan my next move. To be able to figure out how to take down the web, while I am in it." 

"I wish it worked that way, Camille."

"It can." I looked into his eyes, "Ask for my hand."

He looked taken aback, and stared into my eyes, "Your mother would never agree." 

"Yes, she would. She wants me happy. The wedding could happen right away, because I mean I have the dress, we have the place, it's all in set."

"Camillle... it won't work that easy." I looked into his eyes.

"You don't want to..." I mummbled.

He stood up, doubling his fists, "That is not it!" I watched him, "I don't want you to become one of those wives, who are just traveling around... You deserve a better life."

"I deserve to be in that ship, with you. I am one with the ocean, and here in England, I am lost." I looked into his eyes.

"I can see what I can do, Camille. I promise." He exited my room, and I felt tears fill my eyes, as I drifted to sleep.

_________________________________________________________________________

The next day, I awoke to my mother, who had a dress for me to put on. I looked around, and she was hurrying around. She smiled at me, and patted my hand. The nurses helped me out of bed, and I lifted my arms, as far as I could. They slid the dress over me, and my mother turned to me finally. "Camille?" 

"Yes?"

"I was asked a certain question, do you know what it was?"

"For my hand in marriage?" She nodded, "And?"

"I choose the last time, I know it's hard to do in this day of age, but you choose." I looked at her, and was astonished. 

"Yes."

"Okay, then it will happen fast, and soon. Because I want you to be able to get away for awhile." I smiled, and followed her out of the room. The ride home, I felt on top of the world. I watched the trees fly past, and I realized we were not even on our way home. "Mother?"

"I said, it would be fast..."

"My gown?" 

"Already there?"

"Whos there to watch?"

"Just those who matter..." She looked at her hands. "I cannot imagine watching you leave again... But it is what is best, darling." She touched my hand.