Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:

“Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave.”

            When I exited the servant’s corridor, Sebastian was leaning against the far wall, spinning an apple between his hands. “Your mother has been asking about you, I told her I would come find you that I thought I saw you slip outside for some fresh air, with Rose.” He looked up at me, “Almost didn’t work because Rose was walking on the other side of the room, your mother didn’t see her, and didn’t question her. You’re lucky.” He took a bite of the apple, and looked up at me.

“Thank you, I guess.” I straightened my dress, and pulled it the door closed behind me. The letters were digging deeper into my chest, and I felt as if they were going to be ruined by the time I was able to read them. I picked my skirts up, trying to hurry past Sebastian without him stopping me.

“You’re welcome, but there is a small problem.” I stopped dead in my tracks looking at his face, that had grown a devilish smile, “You are not to read those letters without me.”

“How am I going to do that? With my mother and Henry both down my neck, and us leaving in a week for African coast?” I let out a deep release of air.

“Tonight, I will wait for you by the garden path, bring any piece of evidence from your father as well." He disappered out of the room, with me following slowly at his heels. My mother stood in the door way, tapping her heel on the floor. 

"There you are!" She grasped my arm so tight, I squirmed in pain. "Henry has been looking for you." She pulled me across the floor, tripping over my skirt. "Do not mess this up, Camille." She hissed in my ear, and threw me toward him.

"There you are, Camille. I was hoping to find you before you had to leave." My thoughts were rushing, and I felt sick to my stomach. Suddenly the corset was too tight, or so it felt, and the room went black, and I felt myself hit the floor, with Henry's voice a distant echo, and Sebastian's hands on my back.

When I came to I laid in my bed, Sebastian at my doorway, acting as if he could hear something. "W-w..." 

He put his finger up as if he told me to be quiet, as he leaned his head out furher. I looked down, I had a slim nightgown covering my body, and I began to frantically search. Where had the letters gone? And who had them now? Sebastian turned on his heel, opening up his jacket reveling the stack of letters, and an irritated face, he said no words but turned back to what he was doing. I pulled myself from the bed, reaching for a light brown dress that Nani had probably laid out for me. I slid it over my body, and pulled my hair to one side, tip-toeing to Sebastian. I could hear muffled voice coming from the main hall downstairs. They belonged to Henry, my mother, and some others I couldn't place. 

Sebastian cracked a smile shaking his head, and turned toward me. "Go collect what you need from the study, I will meet you in a few hours down by the garden." He went to step down the stairs, "Oh, don't go downstairs, if you are found in the library pretend to be ill or fall asleep in there. You don't want the mess from downstairs at this moment." Sebastian took off down the stairs, joining the conversation.

I grabbed a cape from the closet, and disappeared into the library. I had stashed everything in one drawer at the corner of the desk. I grabbed what was in there, searching for any clues I had left. Those were slim, but I had found my notes that were scattered on the desk, shoving them all into a carriers bag. I shut the door behind me, watching the grandfather clock tick by. I heard footsteps coming from the hall and I hid my belongings under the chair, pretending to sleep. Once it was quiet, I stood up. I felt my knees wanting to give as the carrier bag slid on my shoulder, and the cape around my neck. I snuck to the door, opening it softly, and quietly not to disturb anyone. I inched into the hallway looking around. Grabbing the nearest candle, I opened the servant corridors beside the library, it smelt of must Nani, Curtis nor Anne every used it. I held the candle in front of me making my way to the kitchen. I put my ear to the door, hearing the small shuffles of Anne leaving. I opened the door, looking around, going straight to the door that led outside.