Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave." 

 The next morning, I woke with a sudden shock, I could hear voices coming from downstairs that weren't normal in my house. I stood up from my bed, sneaking to my door, cracking it open, only to hear.... Sebastian's voice echoing through our home. My mother's followed after, I snatched my robe from the dresser, pulling it over me, walking to the railing. I could see Curtis carrying in large trunks, with Mr. Moore and Sebastian standing in front of my mother, swords at their sides. 

"Yes, Mrs. Braxton, we will keep this safe in hand." Sebastian looked up at me, and smiled. "Good morning, Miss. Braxton." He bowed, along with Cameron. 

"Ah, darling, get dressed and join me?" She looked at me, like she was disappointed I was in my nightgown. I nodded, disappering to my room. Annie was waiting, with one of my finer dresses, and I looked between her and the dress.

"Mr. Calston is coming today, for you to discuss wedding arrangments, your mother wants you to look presentable." She smiled, holding the dress toward me. I nodded, untying the robe, letting it fall. 

"Alright, let's make me look beautiful then." I pulled the nightgown off, and turned my body toward her. She blushed,  I was never as open with Annie, and she pulled the slip over my body, tightening a corset around me. I took one last deep breathe, before stepping into the heels she sat in front of me, and the dress came over my head. I looked at her, as she tied one last corset lacing in the back. "Are we down?"

"Your hair..." She looked ashamed, and I smiled, pointing at the brush. She handed it to me, letting me run it through my hair, it cascaded over my shoulders. I pointed at a ribbon that matched the color of the dress. I pulled part of my hair back from my face, letting her tie it. "Better." She breathe a sigh of relief, before I exited the room, adjusting the necklace to sit between my corset and skin. 

When I came into the parlor, my mother was waiting, standing by the window. "Ah, Camille." She smiled at me, and hugged me. 

"Hello, mother." She held my hand, playing with the shackle that was on my finger. 

"Well, Annie has told you, wedding arangments have been made. Henry just cannot wait to marry you..." She rambled on, and I partially listened, hearing Cameron and Sebastian upstairs, moving their trunks across the floor. 

I cut her off, "Mother, why are Mr. Moore and Mr. Lowry here?" 

She looked at me, scowling. "I was speaking, Camille. But if you must know before I may continue my conversation..." She shook her head, looking above her head, "Mr. Lowry, offered to protect us to keep you safe. Feeling the men who killed Lucas, could kill you.  I agreed, but with that he said Mr. Moore, who served your father well, and knows our family would be another prime choice for this duty. I agreed with him, and said they could stay here in the house, instead of the old house. But they are going to alternate staying here, in their common room upstairs, and the old house on the property." 

I nodded, "I see, I believe that will make things a little easier on us." I smiled, crossing my hands in my lap. 

"I believe so too, now-" Before she could say another word, Curtis appeared in the door, with Mr. Moore beside him. "Yes?" She looked at him, and I watched carefully. 

"Mr. Calston, has arrived." 

"Thank you," She was practically squealing with delight. I was confused, was she not there yesterday, or not realize what a terrible man he is? Or maybe it was the thought of me wed, and us safe that made her so happy. I shook it off, sanding up. Sebastian was in the corner of the room, nodding at me. I smiled, and lowered my head. Calston walked in, and I looked at him.