Chapter 1

God, it's bright in this room.

Where the hell am I?

When my vision finally cleared, and I could see, I looked around, noticing that I was laying in a bed in a clean white room.

A hospital room.

Why was I in a hospital?

Looking out the window then, I noticed the tall buildings outside. Brighton didn't have any tall buildings like this, at least not in the area I lived in, to my knowledge.

So where the hell was I?

It was then that I noticed the blonde boy sitting on the little loveseat in the room. Problem was, I had no clue who this guy was in my room. I wanted to ask questions, but a small wave of dizziness washed over me, and I groaned softly in response, which quickly caught his attention. He looked up from his phone, his eyes meeting mine, and his jaw dropped, the phone slipping from his grasp as he quickly got up from the loveseat, dropping into the chair next to my bed with an awestruck look on his face.

"Amelie," he breathed, the awestruck and disbelieving look changing into a huge smile. "Mellie, it's you. You're awake, you're actually awake."

"Y-yeah, what...?" I asked in a croaky voice.

"You were in a really bad car accident, honey," he said. "You've been in a coma for the past two weeks." he went to take my hand, but I quickly retreated, a scared look on my face, and his smile quickly faded to surprise and confusion. "Mel?"

"Why are you here?" I asked him, "Who are you?"

"You mean you don't..." he trailed off, "you don't know who I am?"

I shook my head as a tear fell from his eye, and he quickly left the room, leaving me alone, and very, very confused. That was, until, one of my good friends entered the room, and I calmed down a bit, a smile crossing his face when he noticed that I was, in fact, awake.

"Joe," I said softly, and his smile grew bigger as he sat down next to me.

"Hi Mellie," he said.

"Where did he go?" I asked him, "Who is he?"

"Him?" Joe asked, and I nodded. "That's Jack. I'm assuming he went to go get your doctor. You don't know who he is?"

I shook my head as a man in a white lab coat came back, followed by the blonde guy, who I now knew as Jack. Jack's eyes never left me, still wearing an expression of surprise and caution.

"Hello Amelie, it's good to see you awake," the man said. "My name is Doctor Richards. Do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"O-okay," I said.

"Are you in any pain at all?" he asked, and I shook my head.

"Not really," I said, "maybe a tiny bit. I'm mostly just a little dizzy."

"That's completely normal," he said. "Can you tell me your full name?"

"Amelie Isabelle Phillips," I said.

"Where are you from?" he asked.

"Brighton,"

"How old are you?" he asked.

"Seventeen," I said, and Jack's eyes widened.

"Hang on a minute," Jack started.

"Amelie, you suffered a pretty hard hit to the head." he said. "Can you tell me what year it is?"

"2012," I told him, and Joe stiffened up next to me.

"This is common with head injuries," Richards said then. "It seems you're suffering from amnesia. It might not necessarily be permanent. Memories can come back, either a little at a time or all at once. Usually they're within six months of the accident."

"And if they don't come back within six months?" Joe asked.

"Then it's still possible they could return. But it's very, very unlikely," he said, and Jack left the room then, looking as if he were about to pass out.

Doctor Richards left a few moments later, leaving me alone with Joe once more.

"Joe, what's going on?" I asked softly. "Why did he say I have amnesia?"

"Mel, what do you last remember?" he asked.

"I was going to college for literature and writing," I said. "at college back in Brighton. But this isn't Brighton, is it?"

He shook his head. "No, it's not. Amelie, we're in London. We live here now, all of us."

"But that's impossible," I said. "I'm only seventeen."

He shook his head again. "It's 2017, Mel. You're twenty-two."

Wait a minute.

Twenty-two?

He's lying. There's no way. This had to have been some kind of prank that Joe's pulling on me. My friend, and neighbor for as long as I could remember. I even lived with him. Joe loved pulling pranks, and I was usually the target for the pranks. He'd pull them on me, and upload them onto that YouTube site.

That was it. There had to be hidden cameras somewhere. I was a bit of a heavy sleeper sometimes, so he definitely drove us to London while I was asleep, paid off this doctor man, and hired a guy to be Jack... whoever Jack was supposed to be anyways.

I could picture the title and thumbnail now. A picture of me in bed, looking scared. "Mystic Future Amnesia Prank on Friend!"

"I get it, Joe," I said, "there's hidden cameras in here, and you're just playing one of your pranks on me. Can we get up and go, now?"

"Mel, I wish I could tell you this was a prank," he said, and I could tell then from the tone of his voice that this wasn't a prank, after all. "I'm not that heartless, you know that."

"But if this is real then..." I trailed off. "Who's that guy? And what's going on. Who is that Jack?"

"Well, as you gathered," he started, "his name is Jack. You live with him. He's your boyfriend."