Chapter 20

You know how sometimes it can feel like everything's going so great, but then it all of a sudden just... stops?

I'd been doing so well. I'd been making more progress, and my doctors were even impressed. I had managed to remember a couple more things, both in dreams and just randomly. But eventually it all peaked, and I had gone an entire week without remembering anything.

Was this it?

Was this all I was going to remember, and all I'd be left with?

Jack had been teaching me about our second anniversary, yet another thing I hadn't remembered yet, if I would at all. We had been in Florida for a trip, and had spent the day at Disney World, in the cheesy Mickey and Minnie couple t-shirts. Jack had shown me a ton of pictures from the day, and even convinced me to watch the vlog of it. We had gone around on rides, and then Jack had bought me a stuffed Stitch, who's been my favorite Disney character since I was a kid. That was all that I had already known about that day. That I had loved Stitch. That had been the first time that I'd ever been to a Disney park that wasn't in Paris, first time I'd been to the original one, and I didn't even remember it.

"And then we ended the day watching the fireworks, before going back to our hotel for a late night swim." he said, getting to the last picture, which was a selfie of us by the pool. Jack was shirtless and I had a bikini top on, and even that was Disney themed. It had Simba, Nala, Timon, and Pumba on it.

Yeah, that memory seemed great and all, but how great was it if I didn't remember any of it? It seemed as if it had happened to someone completely different, as if Jack was simply telling me stories of him and the girlfriend he'd had before me.

Which was technically true.

I knew I still wasn't the same person I was before the accident, and she was his girlfriend. Not me, though we were trying to make up for lost time and had gotten back together. I did have feelings for him, a lot of strong feelings, but what if it still wasn't me that he was in love with, but the girl in all those vlogs.

I saw the way he looked at her. It was a way I didn't quite think he looked at me now. It was so in love, but there was also a tinge of sadness, as if he knew that she was gone and wasn't coming back. He probably knew, so I didn't know why he was trying to hard to save me if there was no bringing her back.

He's just stuck with the me that I am now.

But he was too nice to say otherwise.

"This is pointless!" I finally yelled, throwing my hands up in exasperation.

"Mel, it's alright," he said calmly. "You've been doing so well. I know you're frustrated, but this is going to help."

"No, it's not," I told him. "Jack I've hit a wall. I'm not going to remember anything else. It was great, and all, but I've peaked. Going on is just hurting us, not helping. This is all I've got, so there's no use in continuing. You're stuck with this."

He slammed his fists on the counter suddenly, making me jump.

"You know, Mel, I've put up with a lot these last months, so it would make it a lot easier if you wouldn't keep pushing me away." he said, angry tears filling his eyes. "You're not the only one who lost something in that accident. You lost your memory, yeah. And I did lose you. But I didn't only lose the love of my life, but I lost my daughter, too." he said, the words spilling out of him until he stopped suddenly.

Wait.

"You lost your...?" I asked, my mind not fully grasping what he was saying, and I stood up then, feeling a little dizzy.

"Mel," he said, calming himself down a little bit, "why don't you come and sit on the couch with me? There's something that I need to tell you."

He led me over to the couch, and I followed, slowly taking a seat next to him.

"There's something we've been hiding from you," he said, taking a deep breath and thinking, as if he were trying to think of the words he needed to say. "don't blame them, it was my fault. I needed to be the one to tell you, and I wasn't sure how to do that."

"Jack, what's going on?" I asked as he took my hands in his, looking me in the eyes.

"The nursery, the ultrasound picture on my bed at home, Conor's ex girlfriend, it was all a lie." he said then, my eyes widening. "They weren't Conor's things, they were ours. We were having a baby. A little girl." his voice cracked then as a few tears slipped from his eyes, but he didn't wipe them away; just kept his hands in mine. "We even had a name picked out. Her name was Isabella Jaclynn Maynard. She was lost in the accident, and we planned on telling you when you woke up. But you didn't remember anything, and so we decided it wasn't the right time to tell you. I did plan on telling you, I promise."

I didn't know what to think.

Jack and I were going to have a baby. A little baby girl.

Were.

But she was gone. Another piece of us lost in the accident.

"Amelie, please say something," Jack begged me, trying to meet my eyes again, but I kept staring at the ground, emotionless. It wasn't that I wasn't sad, because I was sad, but... I didn't know what I was feeling, exactly. "Mel?"

"I..." I said, fighting to get the words out before getting up off of the couch, my hands leaving Jack's. "I need some air."

And with that I ran out of the doorway.