Chapter 12

Opening my eyes, I took in the not so familiar surroundings, focusing then on the sound of someone breathing and lightly snoring behind me.

Rolling around slowly, I turned to see Jack still with an arm draped around me still sleeping, though he looked terrible. I knew he'd be super hungover when he woke up, so I carefully got out of bed and wandered into the kitchen, grabbing him a glass of water and a bottle of Advil.

Going back into the bedroom I quickly shut the curtains to keep the bright sunlight out, and I set the Advil and water back on the counter. I was just about to climb back in bed when I heard Jack groaning, and shutting his eyes tightly.

"Take this," I said softly, taking two Advil out of the bottle and picking up the glass of water. "Here, sit up a little."

"I don't want to," he mumbled, holding his pillow over his face.

"It'll make you feel better," I told him, finally convincing him to sit up and I handed him the pills and water as he slowly opened up his eyes.

"I feel like complete shit," he said, taking the pills and finally realizing what he'd forgotten from being drunk. "Mellie..." he said, his eyes widening as he stared at me. "You're here."

"Don't get up, it'll just make you dizzy," I said, noticing him starting to rise, and I climbed in bed to keep him there, closing the gap between us as I hugged him. "I'm here."

"Why'd you come back?" he asked.

"I got lost," I explained to him, "and Conor came to get me. But he convinced me to talk to you, and here I am."

"Why did you leave?" he asked then in a soft voice.

"Jack I didn't want to hurt you." I told him. "I thought if we went our separate ways it would make things so much easier if my memories weren't going to come back, but I know now that I was wrong. We need each other. We can make new memories."

"We can," he said with a smile, kissing me lightly on the forehead. "So what all happened last night?"

"Well you were really drunk when I got here," I started to explain, "and dropped your bottle when you saw me. Don't worry about the mess it made, I cleaned everything up after you went to sleep."

"You didn't have to do that," he said.

"It was my fault you wanted to drink so much, it was the least I could do." I assured him, "Anyways. We talked. You cried a lot and begged me to stay. I'm here. You didn't want to go to sleep because you didn't want me to leave while you were out. I promised to stay. Here I am."

"Here you are," he said, and I heard the doorbell ring. "Who the bloody hell could that be?"

"Hang on, I've got it," I said, leaving the room and coming back with a pizza box. "I know you like Domino's Pizza to help cure your hangovers, so..." I said, my mind not completely registering the words coming out of my mouth.

"Wait... how'd you know that?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me suspiciously.

"About the pizza?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Did Conor tell you?" he asked, and I shook my head.

"No, Conor and Josh aren't even here," I said, and a smile spread across his face. "I was getting the Advil and I called."

"Mel, that was out of habit." he said. "You take care of me like this often, and so your body knew to do it out of habit. You're remembering things." Jack said with a smile.

I smiled, sitting down in bed with the pizza box.

"Pepperoni?" he asked, and I nodded, opening it up.

"Of course," I said, taking a slice and watching him bump his against mine, like raising a toast.

"To getting your memories back," he said, taking a bite.

"To getting my memories back," I said, taking a bite of my own piece.

"Mel?" he asked once we had finished the pizza.

"Yeah?" I asked, setting the empty box on the ground so I could throw it in the trash later. "And lay down, you'll feel better."

"I'm actually about to go shower, because I feel absolutely rank and I'm sure you feel the same way." he said. "But when I get back I really just want to lay down and hold you... may I?"

"You may," I said as he smiled softly, kissing me on the cheek before getting out of bed and wandering over to the bathroom.

Jack's shower didn't take super long, and when came back out he was only in his towel. I noticed then all the tattoos that adorned his arms, as well as the cross between his shoulder blades. He wandered over to his dresser, pulling out a pair of boxers and a pair of sweatpants before turning back to me.

"I mean it's nothing you've never seen before," he said, "but if I were you I'd want to close my eyes right about now."

I nodded, covering up my eyes until he gave me the all clear and climbed back into bed. He stayed shirtless but now wore the grey pair of sweats, and laid next to me, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer to him.

"Hi," I said with a smile.

"Hi gorgeous," he said. "and before we talk any further, if I do anything that makes you uncomfortable, I'm really sorry. I tend to do a lot of romantic stuff when I'm around you out of habit, but I'll try my best to work on it."

"It's okay," I assured him. "I'm not uncomfortable. Being here with you has started to have a nice sense of familiarity to it."

He smiled tiredly, yawning softly. "Good. I'm glad I'm familiar again."

"You are," I assured him. "now take a nap. You need rest."

"Only if you'll still be here," he said, and I flashed back to last night when he said the same words. Slightly different scenario, but still the same outcome.

"I promise," I told him, and he smiled bigger as his eyes shut and he drifted back off to sleep.