Chapter 1

NIKKI'S (P.O.V)

"What do you mean John escaped?!" said Lexi with worry dripping off of every word. I could tell we all hopped that this was just some kind of sick joke.

"He escaped as in he's gone," replied Blake. Suddenly the fear and dread started to creep into me. How could this happen. This just didn't seem real. How could that bastard of an uncle escape.

I just stood back and watched as they argued. He couldn't be gone, he just couldn't after everything that we've been through this could not be happening. "We should have killed him when we had the chance."

"That bastard is really going to get it now."

"STOP!" I screamed. "Just calm the fuck down everyone, he's gone. We all know he won't try anything soon. So we'll just go to the prom and try to relax."

I looked at Lexi, "I'll put up some protection spells so he can't get near us. In the mean time you, Xavier, and your friends go to prom and enjoy yourselves okay?"

"No, Nikki your coming with us."

"Lex this is for your protection and for mine. I'll get some spells up and this way it'll be harder for him if we're separated. I'm going to leave town with Jace and who else wants to come." I didn't look at Alex as I said this because I know that he probably already knew I was talking about him.

"Nikki no!!! We've been separated too many times already and I don't want it to happen again."

"Trust me Lex neither do I but you as well as I know that this is for the best." I forced myself to smile as I said this but at the end of my words I felt a tear sliding down my cheek.

Lexi put her arms around me and hugged me. I hugged her back. "I love you Nikki." "And I love you too Lexi."

We pulled away from each other. The whole time the guys had been watching us.

I gave them a serious but playful look. "Can't we get some privacy." I widened my eyes at them, causing them to laugh at me.

Moments later I stood there by the window watching my sister and her friends leave. I know that she really wanted to go she had been bragging about going to prom for weeks on end. I had told her to shut up about it already but secretly I had been happy that she had something to look forward to. Especially after the fucked up shit we had been through.

"Come on babe," whispered Jace as he pulled me away from the window.

I wanted to cry so bad but I know that now isn't the time so I held them back for later.

I walked up to Alex, "are you coming with us or what are your plans?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I'll tag along with you." He emphasized and looked at me pointedly when he said the word you.

I felt Jace pulled me back against him.

"Quit it! Both of you!" I sighed. I can only imagine how things will be when I find my other soul mate. I do not think things will be too pretty.

I moved away from both of them as they continued to look at me. "I suggest you both go and pack. I'm leaving in an hour and if your not in the car than tough noodles I'm leaving you behind."

I walked away from them and went to my room. I didn't feel like packing myself so i used a spell to do all of the work.

That got done fast so I started to work on the protection spells for Lexi and I. Xavier by now was probably using his powers to protect Lexi as well.

'Hey Nikki, are you okay.'

'Yes i'm fine Lex go and enjoy your dance and stop talking to me through the mind link.' After that I shut Lex out. I want her to enjoy the dance and stop worrying. We also needed to stop talking through the mind link since John could try to hear our conversations.

It had been an hour and I started walking to the car. I didn't feel like driving so I asked Jace if he could. Alex got in the back without a word. I wanted to ask what his problem was but I honestly have my problems to worry about more then his hormonal ones.

As Jace drove and we were almost out of the town. I felt the tears silently slide down my cheeks as I starred out the window. The trees just passing by. The road quickly taking me away from my sister and closer to an unknown destination.

I could feel Jace and Alex watching me but they didn't say anything.

Slowly I felt Jace intertwine our fingers together.

I didn't turn my head to look at his face but I squeezed his hand to reassure him that I would be okay. Right now I was just sad, disappointed, and frustrated.

Some how I managed to cry myself to sleep. The next time I woke up it was morning. I looked over at Jace and saw him concentrating on the road.

"Do you want me to take over?" I asked him.

"No it's okay. You know I don't sleep but we should stop soon so you can get something to eat."

I wasn't hungry but I didn't want to say anything. I'm sad but I know I have to eat and if I don't they would both try to force feed me.

I wonder what Lexi is up to. I just hope she isn't mad at me. I really need her to understand that us separating is for the best. Even if it kills us mentally at least it won't physically.