PROLOGUE

So, baby pull me closer in the back seat of your rover that I know you can't afford

"Ducky we're here" I looked up from my phone to see my dad swerving expertly into the parking lot. Sneering at the reverse camera for cutting off the song, I tucked everything into my bucket bag and got ready to exit the car.

We manoeuvred our luggage swiftly into the airport to check ourselves in for the flight, just as we're about to join the queue, my dad's cell phone started ringing. Planting a chaste kiss on my mother's forehead, he excused himself to pick up the call.

"Emily come, let's join the queue" Sluggishly dragging my luggage behind me, I joined the queue with my mother. My mother was a Singaporean Chinese and just like most of the Singaporean middle aged ladies, she had shoulder length hair and the Asian mono-lid eyes which I have inherited. Despite these traits, I had always found her attractive which probably shouldn't be shocking since my father migrated from Australia to Singapore just for her.

Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw my dad brisk walking towards us with a worried look. Before we could ask him what's wrong he looked between my mother and I guiltily, "The head accountant found an error with the bookkeeping and they need me back now to clarify some stuffs. Would it be ok if I meet the two of you there?"

I was about to assure him everything's going to be fine and that we'll just meet him at Granny's place when my mum intercepted, "I'll stay behind with you, Emily can meet Nora first."

Flabbergasted at what my mother is suggesting I looked between the two, shocked they would even think about letting me board a plane by myself. "Emily stop being such a drama queen, who knows how long this will take and I don't want a repeat of what happened last time when we left your father alone at home to fend for himself."

Casting a glance at my father who had a sheepish grin on his face, I knew I had to make a sacrifice for our kitchen at home so I exhaled dramatically "Fine, but come as quick as you can."

After making sure I'm well prepared for a long flight by my own, I exchanged hugs with my parents, forcing them to promise me that they would indeed drop everything and fly over immediately once everything is settled here. Even though it felt extremely weird without them by my side at the airport, I made my way slowly to the waiting area.

They say "Life begins at the end of your comfortzone", let's just hope they're right because I just took an enormous step outof my comfort zone to be hanging in the air surrounded by strangers.

AUTHORS NOTE: I used to tell myself that I would never write an author's note because I don't think anyone really reads them but I just wanted to ask what you think about this (my first story that I decided to take seriously and put into words).