EIGHT

DEDICATED to: the first ever friend I stood up for in primary school who thinks i'm not aware of her watching 'Arrow' on her phone whenever we Skype.

guess you're not sneaky enough huh?

-

Catching my breath, letting it go

I stood frozen for what seemed like forever, not able to even focus on Kelly Clarkson's amazing vocals or the DJ's choice in music.

Samuel squeezed my shoulder gently, snapping me out of my reverie. I blinked and saw my dad's eye twitching and glaring holes into Samuel's hand around me. Chuckling at my dad's reaction which was typical since he always treated me as his little girl that unfortunately cannot look after herself regardless of how old I am.

Turning my cheek for the sake of this show

Shrugging off Samuel's hand, I stood up and ran into my dad's arms. Before I could familiarize myself with my dad's minty smell, I was pulled back and surrounded by my mum's smaller body and floral scent.

I pulled back with an irritated look and asked, "Why didn't you tell me you were coming? You know I hate surprises."

Dad pulled me back towards him for another hug, ignoring me all together so I directed my gaze to my mother. Instead of answering my question, she asked with an innocent look: "zhe she ni de nan pengyou ma?"

Spluttering at the ludicrous question she asked, I can only be grateful that I don't blush easily. She raised her eyebrows at me with an unimpressed look while she sent my dad a signal. Before I could even process that look on her face, my dad released me from his hold and took up a predatory walk over to Samuel.

I turned around just in time to see dad whisper something into Samuel's ear that made him paled. Smacking my forehead, I walked up and pulled my dad back over to my mum. "His not my boyfriend, we're just friends and I'm also helping him with his studies."

They narrowed their eyes at me and Samuel in a spine-chilling manner. Trying my hardest not to squirm under their predatory gaze in case they decide my squirming shows that I'm lying.

"Then you wouldn't mind if we share this spot with you two, right?" Without waiting for any response, they sat themselves down across of us with their backs facing the night sky. Shaking my head at them with an amused look, I sat down with Samuel by my side – but since we're being observed there was a wide gap between us – and waited for the meteor shower.

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦

"Chug! Chug! Chug! Chug!" I internally winced when Mr Smith encouraged my dad to chug down the whole pitcher of beer.

As disturbing as it was, I wasn't going to spoil the fun for the reuniting duo because apparently Mr Smith and my dad was the best of friends before but lost contact somewhere after grandfather passed.

Since my parents so politely invited themselves onto Samuel's mat – that were meant for two – they extended the invitation to grandmother and granny pretty eyes who brought along Mr and Mrs Smith. As much as I was disappointed with the interruption they brought along, I can't help but feel grateful that dad's glare was no longer directed at Samuel as he joked with Mr Smith.

After the meteor shower passed, I stood up and picked up Samuel's flannel he offered when he realised we were going to get ourselves acquainted with the grass due to the new arrivals. Unable to form words strong enough to thank him since my pants would have looked like his if he hadn't offered his flannel, I sent him a warm smile.