TEN

When you try your best but you don't succeed

I huffed at the girl in the mirror whose eyebrows are uneven. Why is this happening to me today? Of all days for them to misbehave, they had to pick today – when I'm having my first ever proper date. Great.

When you get what you want, but not what you need

I stopped singing and said a silent prayer to the Lord of the Eyebrow. Wiping away the pathetic attempt off my face, I positioned my pencil above my eyebrow, said another prayer and took a deep breath.

7 minutes and 42 seconds later, I stared at the pair of uneven brows taunting me and sighed for the 29th time ever since I picked up my eyebrow pencil this morning.

Screw this, I give up.

Putting my pencil down, I walked over to the bed and picked up my phone. Was I really going to do this? On our first proper date? I looked back at the mirror and cringed at the sight of my uneven brows. With a sigh, I turned back to my phone and sent Samuel a message.

Hey, can we take a rain check on tonight's date? I'm not feeling so good.

Switching my phone off in case he decided to call and notices that I'm lying – which I was but, irrelevant. I wiped off my pitiful attempt and picked up the werewolf encyclopaedia I found in the room the other day.

It must have been books like this that fuelled the rumours going around this town but who am I to say it's all fake? Myths had to come from somewhere, regardless of how unrealistic some of it sounds, there had to be some underlying truth behind it. For instance, the infamous Salem Witch Trials that executed twenty people. Whether witches exist or not there must have been something out of the ordinary going on that planted the idea into their minds. It may not even have been witchcraft, who's to say it wasn't a more advanced type of science and technology that we could not comprehend at the moment?

The picture of a tawny wolf nuzzling the small of a fiery red wolf's back with his snout captured my attention. Mates. I gently traced my fingers over the wolves, enthralled by the love they had for each other in their eyes and started reading the text below the image.

Unlike man who has around 50 million sensory cells, a wolf has about 200 million sensory cells. With the heightened senses, the wolf is able to find their mate who is made for them through their scent. Werewolves, with their long-lasting attachments to their mates and slower aging compared to humans, will continue to love their mates for eternity once they have come together. However, this does not mean they are obligated to love their mates regardless of what the Moon has planned for the pair.

I looked back at the pictures of the wolves and can't help but think how wrong we were to portray wolves as wild, feral, violent creatures if they could love like this? When us humans – who were supposed to be the better species – can't even seem to stay loyal to one for more than a month? They may be the more violent species but it's clear they're not the real monsters, we are.

I flipped over to the next page and was once again intrigued by the picture of a girl with long jet black hair hugging a large grey wolf that looked like the big bad wolf who could gobble her up in one bite. What was a human doing inside a werewolf encyclopaedia? I looked up at the sub-heading of the page and was surprised at the words that was being used together, Human Mates. How is this even possible? A human and a werewolf, together. How does this even work? Who even came up with this absurd arrangement? Why would they come up with –

The doorbell ringing pulled me out of my thoughts. Still unable to comprehend what I've read, I placed the book down and sluggishly made my way over to the door since no one was around to get the door.