SIX

I loved you better than your own kin did

"What – How are you doing this?" I shrugged my shoulders, singing along to Rihanna. "This is so not your first time playing." I chuckled at his accusatory tone and looked at him over the pillow I subtly placed between us before we started playing to avoid contact. Instead of an offended look like what I've expected from a guy who just lost 5 games to a girl, he had on an impressed look.

From the very start

"It is my first time. You just have really bad strategies." Shooting him a sly grin, I placed the controller down and took the one in his hands out.

I picked up my phone and switched off the music, gesturing for him to switch off the game with my hands before standing up and moving over to his desk.

When I came over to the Smith's this morning to tutor Samuel, we had agreed – me reluctantly – that we would study in his room but the door was to be left open at all times in case he tried to kill me. Before we could even start, my attention was diverted to the X-Box set he had in his room.

He must have seen the intrigued look I had towards the set before he offered to teach me any of the games I wanted to play, probably not expecting me to beat him in all the games we played.

We ended up playing Fifa for 2 hours with the occasional toilet breaks, but I figured we procrastinated enough and I've done enough damage to his ego anyways.

He made his way over to the desk after producing a fold up chair from his closet and placed it beside the other chair. Motioning for me to sit on the sturdier chair instead of the flimsy fold up one, I thanked him and pulled the chair further apart from his to maintain a level of professionalism while tutoring him. At least, that's what I tell myself instead of 'I'm too much of a coward to go any nearer because I feel weird whenever I'm too close to him'.

I directed my attention to his textbook on the table that remains closed and turned my head over to him only to see his green eyes staring at the gap between us with a crease on his forehead and a small frown. Using my pencil, I gently poked his cheek to wake him up from his daydream.

"Come on, we don't have all day. You have to pick Sandra up later, remember?" I said softly, terrified of his sudden mood swing. Wanting to lift his spirits up a little before he takes me for an emotional punching bag, I added: "I know it's tough to have to suddenly get yourself into this studying mode. So, let's make a deal. If you manage to get 3 questions right, we'll play another game before you pick Sandra. Deal?"

I tilted my head at him and waited for his response. Before I could poke his cheek again, he snapped his head towards me with his wide green eyes and said with a roguish grin: "How about you be my date for the meteor shower?"

"Samuel, I'm doing this because I want too. You don't have to throw me a pity party and – "

He reached his hand out for mine and I involuntarily moved back which caused the crease on his forehead to reappear. "No, I – This isn't a pity party, Emily. If anyone is throwing a pity party it would be you, because you'll the one doing me a favour if you would even consider going to the meteor shower with me. I think you would make me look less lonely tomorrow because I sure as hell don't intend to go with any other girl after meeting you."

I looked at his glittering green eyes filled with sincerity, only taking notice of the brown flecks circling the perimeter of his irises now. It was as though time stopped for him as he held his breath waiting for my response.

Being a nerd in my school, it always deflected any attention I could ever receive away from me. So, having heard such heartfelt confession thrown my way from an extremely attractive male specimen who surely knows how to make use of his puppy eyes, I didn't think it'd even be possible to say no. Even if this means getting my heart broken again in the end by a possible womanizer who only wants to get in my pants, I'll be damned if I let this opportunity pass.