FOURTEEN

DEDICATED to: everyone who has been reading my book so far. You have no idea what it means to me knowing that this book has reached 100 reads on 17/03, and you may think it's really small but it means a lot to me so thank you.

I would give you a pink carnation for how grateful I am for you lovelies but sadly i can't so here's a flower emoji for you. 🌸

-

Lavender's blue, dilly dilly

I sat beside the cradle and softly caressed the black locks that were framing the little baby's heart-shaped face. As though annoyed with me for messing up her hair, she took my finger in her tiny hands and shakes it like a rattle.

Smiling down at the four months old baby who was pouting when she realized my hand doesn't emit the same sounds as her bear rattle. I gently pried my hand away from her finger and resumed brushing her locks whilst rubbing her soft cheeks.

Lavender's green

Placing my hands over her little belly that was covered by her pink jammies, I started to gently rubbed them and continued singing her favorite lullaby. I wasn't sure if humans reacted to belly rubs – because I always hated when people come too close to my belly fats – but it was one of the few things that could lull her to sleep without her fussing over us petting her.

When I noticed the little yawn that escaped her mouth, I took her arm and wrapped them around her microfiber whale toy before I wrapped the blanket around her like a burrito. Propping my elbow back on the cradle once I'm satisfied that she can't move about and scare herself in her sleep, I placed my hands at the back of her head and started gently rubbing it – which was another action that humans probably reacted to.

When you are king, dilly dilly

Not wanting to leave the room yet even though she was already asleep, I sat back on the chair beside the cradle and trained my eyes on her, afraid that she would slip away any moment. It felt like yesterday when the seven-year-old me walked up to my parents after giving myself a pep talk in my room for hours, asking them for a sibling because I was lonely and I remember the silent tear that rolled down her face when she explained that she couldn't conceive another. So, imagine our surprise when we found out she was pregnant a year ago.

"Emily, what are you doing here? Come on, you should get some rest. You haven't fully recovered from that concussion."

Confused at her words, I looked over at the Asian woman standing by the door. "What are you talking about? What concussion?"

"Come on, let's go back to your room. What are you even doing in the guest room?" With an almost exasperated sigh, she walked over and pulled me up from the chair.

Guest room?

Shaking my head, I let her pull me up and guide me towards the door. "I don't know how you're doing stock in the florist, your memory is horrible. This was the guest room but we cleared it out for little Bailey, remember?"

I started laughing when her head snapped towards me with wide eyes. I couldn't believe she forgot about little Bailey when all she ever wanted was another –

"Emily. Bailey's gone."

My footsteps halted when we near the door as my blood ran cold at how cruel she was being. How could she say that? How could she say that her little girl's dead? Did she say I was dead too whenever I went to sleep? What kind of mother says that?