Chapter Four: Great Wings Above

It took the brothers two weeks to make it back to the island. The trip was somber, both saddened by the loss of their father and the betrayal of the emperor. They reached Aria Island dirty and exhausted.

A year passed on the island North of The Empire. The wounds were healed but still tender. The young Guardians continued to be trained in magic and fighting. No more word came from the mainland that year. Morek walked along the northern coastline of the island, the ocean breeze cooling him. Throughout the year, his dragon had also grown and trained. Nethel had been well accepted by the Guardians and had become Morek's personnel pet. He found it to be a much easier mode of transportation than walking or horseback riding. Whenever he needed the dragon, he just called upon Nethel in his head, and he came.

Morek made his way back to the camp and went to Casaris who was talking with a few of the Guardians.

"I have decided to go over there," he told his brother.

"Alone?" asked a concerned Casaris.

"I will just fly over with Nethel to see what has happened since last year," Morek explained. "I will be fine."

He called on Nethel to come to him.

"Fine," Casaris agreed. "But be careful. Do not go anywhere near Voriontu."

The brothers gripped hands and pulled each other into an embrace. They released as the large form of the blue dragon flew overhead and landed next to them. Morek had fixed one of the horse saddle and reigns to fit Nethel. He grabbed the saddle from the horse barn and strapped it on the dragon. Morek mounted and acknowledged his brother before making the mental link to Nethel.

Their minds became one as they felt each other's thoughts. Morek piloted the dragon into the air and away from the island. It shrunk beneath him as wind blew through his wavy hair. He grinned at the rush of adrenaline. It was nice to get up above everyone, just him and Nethel. Morek had yet to fly near the mainland, but he decided it was about time to see what had become of the three empires.

He directed Nethel toward The Empire. He saw Harthwait, still in ruins. It sat as a large, black smudge on the land. They flew above the Middle Region where cities such as Devianten, Umard Woods, and Edoak resided. He flew over where Edoak should have been. Instead there were red, orange, and yellow flames as smoke billowed into the sky. Morek gasped causing Nethel to get shaky. He got a grip on his emotions, wishing he could assist but deciding against it so he did not risk exposure. He moved West, past The Empire's borders, into the Ekridge Mountains, a region of the Dwarf Empire.

The Ekridge Dwarfs of Nerngarohm were personnel friends of Morek's. The city lay beneath a mountain and was where Morek trained to be a Guardian. He helped defend it against the Orcs when they were besieging the rocky fortress. His friend Durfur was also from Nerngarohm. He had assisted Morek on his journey to the Orc capital, losing his life along the way. Durfur made a sacrifice that would not be forgotten.

Though there were some cities is the region, most were underground. The two Morek spotted were burned to the ground. He eventually came to Ekridge Mountain, under which Nerngarohm lied. The entrance to the city was a pass between two other mountains. Morek landed Nethel on the side of one of the mountains beside the pass. He got off and pulled out his bow, extending it. The large, stone gates to the city were closed, and the pass was empty. For a moment he believed Borious's army had not reached them yet. Then, the gates shuddered and began to part open. Shouts of one man came from inside. The gates fully opened for the two legions with around 1,000 men each exit. They wore black from head to toe with red accents to their armor. Their faces were also covered by a black helmet that concealed all except their eyes. The men ranged in sizes making Morek believe that they were different species. The army carried a banner that had on it: a large red stripe with two smaller black stripes bordering its sides and a black, eight pointed star in the middle. That was the first time Morek would see that symbol of death and cruelty.

A man in front of everyone wore different armor than the others. He also had a red cape and his face was not covered. The man cleared his throat.

"Legions of The Empire," he shouted. "Today, we march out from this rocky fortress with 500 more men to serve His Majesty! Today we leave behind our hopes and dreams and abandon them for his hopes and dreams! Leave your petty gods because from now on, he is your god! Today you leave behind all sense of race, background, and individualism because you are one for one purpose! You are going to serve and conquer for the the glory of his almighty power, Emperor Borious of The Eternal Empire!"

The legions were silent, and that made the man very angry.

"Does that not excite you?" he asked. "Maybe this will."

He grabbed the first person in front of him and stabbed his sword through him. The army erupted in to cheers followed by chanting.

"One for one purpose! One for one purpose!" they changed.

Morek watched the man smile and begin marching through the pass, leading his glorious army.

"I have to tell the others," Morek whispered to himself.

The gates of a conquered city closed after the army left. Morek mounted Nethel and took off toward Aria Island. The situation that they were facing had just gone from bad to worse. Borious was amassing and army and a large one. His last words to Morek still echoed in his head when the emperor handed back their weapons.

"You are going to need those."