Chapter 21: The End of a Story

Selma had found the camp had advanced to the town square. Doctors took Nomes back and immediately began healing him. As the sun began to set on the long day, a lone figure carrying a body came down the city steps, silhouetted against the setting sun.

Three days later, the field outside of Voriontu stood filled with those living and dead. An air of grief hung over the crowd of mixed civilians and soldiers. The bodies stood packed on top of each other on top of large wooden logs. In front of the large pile, sat a separate burning sight. Words were said. Songs were sung. Tears were shed. Then, the bodies of those fallen, brave soldiers were burned, the great fire billowing into the sky.

Then, the last son of Frajen Alden stood in front of his brother. Tears slipped down the face of Casaris as he looked down upon the cold body of his brother Morek. The crowd stood in an overbearing silence.

"You did good," Casaris whispered to his young brother. "You were a better man than I ever could have been."

Nomes handed him a torch. Casaris lit the logs under his brother. He watched as Morek's body was slowly engulfed in flames. Selma gripped his hand tightly, as tears fell from their eyes.

Three years later, Selma Alden stood outside the large doors of the General Council, awaiting her husband. A few moments later, Chief Councilman Casaris emerged shaking hands with a man draped in foreign robes. Both smiled and laughed. Casaris went to his wife, pulling her into a kiss.

"Well?" she asked.

"Esiro accepted our deal," Casaris responded. "We are now trade partners with the State of Hecklim, our new allies across the sea."

"Wonderful!" Selma exclaimed.

The two walked out of the castle, hand in hand, to a balcony that overlooked the capital of the Alden Republic.

"Everything seems to be on track," Casaris told her. "The Orc Accords will allow a supervised rebuilding of a new Orc government controlled by Ashtanaken and the Militia, the Elves and Dwarfs are beginning to think about abandoning their imperial governments for a republic, and our land is flourishing." He paused, his demeanor changing. "If only he was hear to see this."

"He is always here," Selma told him. "Look down over Morekontu. See what we have accomplished, and none of it could have been done without your brother."

Casaris smiled. "You tell the truth."

"That is why you love me," she said with a smirk.

"Indeed," Casaris said, kissing her.

Harthwait was under reconstruction, but the statue built there had been duplicated and placed in the town square of Morekontu.

Morek Alden- farmboy, Guardian, protector, race slayer, forgiver, defender, light, powerful, friend, brother- all words that described a simple man from Harthwait that became the best man ever known to the world. For generations, men, women, and children would look upon the statue of Morek as Dragons flew overhead.

And forever, they would remember its inscription.

Life well lived. Life well fought. Life well won.