Little Liars

In the next few days, I did only my absolute best and nothing short of it, to leave everything in this world far away from my corrosive touch and dive into the only good thing I saw in the arms of the well suited, inked world of law.

The divorce meetings remained to be tasteless and pinches of hostility amid the existence of past dishonesty and coarse interactions were on display too. The broken pyramid shaped paperweight which was supposedly a gift of some professional interplay were hibernating with its million shards in the waste bin since Mrs. Wilson was frustrated with her ex husband's ever prolonged wronged characteristics and decided to make a distinct, fast change by accidentally slashing the air.

In one sweaty evening, I , stuck into the clasped hands of fellow lawyers, strung into some daily bad habits of conversation that ended in a modern bar somewhere near the new office building.

The unwillingness of my mind to think of anything at all. since pondering then ended mostly in caustic thoughts were strong enough to put a cork in my throat as I did not drink my usual hopeless weekend rate. But my sober self executed perfectly in observing the food chain of where I was sitting.

There were sharply dressed, tight breasted secretaries hovering across the floor, among the women of different professions who ended up there in an obvious manner or uninteresting reasons.

There were married men, talking in a hushed but excited voice to some gorgeous lady that they knew and wanted to sleep with.

And there were waves of unmarried beaus were free enough to break out from the " fictional foreplay of lust " and embraced themselves for a bodily night at the girl's provocation.

I wasn't enjoying any of this. In fact, then and there, in the musty, tight bar, filled with fervor and booze, I was hating everything in my life from the profession to the littlest of things I did not even realize I despised before then.

So, like every weekend, I caught a cab here, swam in the people's river and found myself on Percy and Jordan's door.

I was not aware of it in spite of walking straight into the scenery, where a mole hill was arrogant enough to erect itself into a giant, invisible mountain. And in the morning, it became a reality.

The morning coffee let off its smoke with the scent of flourished jolly and toasted bread fluttered into the decorative atmosphere. I was not able to sleep at night and found myself in various distracted speculation throughout the early morning hours as the clock passed by in a mocking beat.

Without looking around the bend where my view would fall directly on the dining station, I was under the impression that Jordan and Percy were still cuddled under the duvet on the unmoving Friday morning since not a single snicker of sound or a lazy morning groan strolled to me.

But they both sat on the opposite chairs in the glass table with a morbid silent, the type of soundless haze you could only hear in a graveyard.

I sensed the absence of love, matured affection or everyday ardor when they sat in utter silence and looked around the room for this or that as if I or the other person did not exist.

Then and there, I wrote the diagnosis of the disease.

They were simply out of love.

I had met Percy 7 years ago, in one afternoon as autumn had already left and Winter lurked just around the city streets. He had that early, juvenile glow which emitted from his polished, proud wedding ring with his eye catching smile that showcased his freshly whitened teeth.

Then, I had just lost my training wheels as a lawyer and boldly decided with the help of alcohol that, it was time, it was my time to have a desk with my name on the plank.

Some landlord in South Bronx was reaping the ripe advantage and the money out of the newly weds who trotted around in their dream sized shoes in hopeful amateur to find a bricked cage to call home.

Originally, Percy's case was handed to someone before that lawyer decided that his plate was too full and advised to " send it to the newbie " .

He was being a friendly distraction with his story whilst I sat tensed with my claws dug deep into his words to get a hold of the problem that laid vaguely in the talks of his marriage. My arched and anxious eyebrows weren't strong enough to silence him but the story spilled the beans of the problematic landlord which was enough for me to make a move.

The numbers were boosted by the landlords so when the conclusion ended on the par that nothing good could get out of him, I advised him to " ditch his Bronx for now to something cheaper ".

I was not counting on his to follow my beacon of rigid directions but he surprisingly did so when he called me with some good news and an invitation to his new home.

The rest of the history changed with one agonizing constant in the equation which was my marriage.

That day was not the first morning that they fought and did not acknowledge each other's existence but that morning was one of the first when my keen and invading investigation led me to believe that they hadn't talked for a week.

The first domino to fall was in the night of Junith Chambers when I was wearing Percy's suit and accompanied Jordan. After that, it was one thing then another, this little gesture,a frown of annoyance. I was deprived of this knowledge for my selfish abandon as I tried my best to suture my lonely Universe but learning it then by noon, threw me a seed of anxiety that led to other upsetting ideas.

And it lead to a desperate leap.