Houdini

The Sedan strolled down the East skin of great Big Apple whilst in the drift of damp night air, my eyes squinted over the brightly lit openings to find a theater or anything resembling to one.

Jordan was busy with herself in the passenger seat and in the original blueprint of tonight, I was not supposed to be there at all but I clasped the driving wheel tightly in one of Percy's dinner jackets while being searching for the destination.

She was mumbling loudly and in the gasps of her intentional display of fuming about something important such as flourishing herself with the last minute lipstick or flowery odor.

As usual to every offer of socialization I received from Jordan, I ceased to waste a second before declining but something felt off about this one since my rapid entrance in their home at that afternoon helped me smell a different kind of silence. So for the further understanding and in the alignment of spending some time with Jordan who was prone to expose the nature of the marital problem they were having, I jumped along.

" I just don't understand him . . . sometimes. " Jordan stated as she titled her head to the rear view mirror but the wind only replied profoundly to her words as a dull " Uh-huh " fell out of my mouth.

" I told him how much tonight mean to me. " This time, the voice craved an inch more of attention as I turned around the corner as well as throwing a casual attentive look.

The restless lull departed quickly when her quirky behavior made a show.

" That's why I like you Dion. " She insulted as we went around the bend to discover the possible destination.

" You're easy to figure out. Like a simpleton. "

" Well, you know me, darlin' " I coughed up a laugh in unison before yielding to a stop under an illuminated banner with an off white background with a familiar looking name displaying in enthusiastic black bolted letters.

I was like the Parson's child or somehow acquired the title in one of those long years as Jordan and Percy both became uncannily aware of what to say and what not to talk about around me and the rapid transformation of my mood.

" They keys are with me. " I announced as I departed the stuffed air of the car onto the bright sidewalk. " You go ahead and have fun. I'm not drinking tonight. "

This seemed to worry her even more as the hilarious curve of Jordan's chin expired with a questionable simper hanging loose.

I smirked to myself in the privacy of our walks to the theater as my effort of being coy was starting to pull its weight with the deceptive honesty and paralyzing epiphanies.

Jordan was excitedly explaining the pretense of the show and the " Big Surprise " as she called to before a pair of well suited couple caught her attention on the lobby, causing to abandon me temporarily as she sparked the formal talk.

I followed suit and smiled at anyone or anything that moved with my quick steps to not seem as lonesome as it started to encounter on the approach of this Universe.

There was a curtain of darkness beside an ordinary looking door and Jordan among with her nameless, attractive company transformed into silhouettes as they disappeared into the middle row.

I tripped across the dimness to join the last row where a couple sat in intimate comfort and whispered to each other like spirits of enthusiasm.

Then before the mute air could successfully bellow and my mind could go back to its desolated attic, Junith materialized in a reflective visage under the spotlight.

In reality.

Before the clock hit a nameless hour in the night, I was sitting among an young crowd and to my surprise was enjoying an unusually, enchanting, friendly time with the bunch of lush smiles of sweethearts and the crisp talks of the men.

The telescopic firing of the night which was the film feature, ended half an hour ago and to properly celebrate the occasion, there was an occasion which I was not aware of at first, the small platoon of finely dressed pupil skipped over the empty 9 o'clock street and tumbled down the restaurant chairs.

I found myself carving a bulk of meat in a green field of salad under a bright golden halogen lights that burst on everyone's faces, making their outlooks richer than even they intended themselves to be.

In an unknown crowd, there would always be a mist of awkward verses and hushed talks among the familiar faces but this establishment, joined by women, handsome males who just fell short of being movie stars were not having that juvenile problem at all. No uneasiness were floating in the air.

They all somehow knew each other even though I noticed the brief exchange of names that led me to believe they had just met at that moment. And the mutual string of connectivity wrapped around everyone including me as I couldn't help but laugh at wedding jokes, popular city gossips and women's jealous pokes to each other that ended in smiles.

Before the main course of lamb's red strained plates could be substituted by Molten Lava cakes which oozed dark blood like chocolate at the slightest touch, I made a small indicative note of the company I was with.

They were all, by my calculation, living under the age of 25 and among the circular table I was the only one who had the immorality of having rebellious, silver strands of hair.

The man in front was very shrill and easily disturbed by one single thing on his mind, his wife; as he sauntered his neck at an aching cone to spot his wife or just the image of her back, from time to time.

The woman on my left smelled like lemons on a summer morning since she wore just enough or a bit too much perfume that necessary.

But what caught my dizzy attention was the man beside me. I would not acquire a good long look of his parallel visage but had just a glance. His face imitated a European shape so did his accent but his choices of topics that opened a brief window in his mind sparked my interest as he spoke of marriage, love and other " simple " subjects in a hermit's tone.

I visioned that I would lessen my eager questions values if I wanted to talk in front of child like adults. So I strolled over the bar at the end of the formal feast to sit in wait, with the anticipation of as I expected that man to drown a glass or two to mark this " wonderful " occasion.

But someone else was already in my destined place in her own stance.