Chapter 9

Dezurae

I was plating dinner when Jordan walked in the door with something in his hands that I couldn't make out. He smiled to me as he turned and started walking backwards toward me. I laughed.

"What are you doing, Mercer?"

He chuckled.

"I found out what the sound was. I brought it to show you."

I stood waiting. He turned around once he was about five feet away and a scraggly lump of singed fur was in his hands.

"Jordan! What the world?!"

He smiled as he said, "Its a cat. Well, a kitten. Apparently it probably tried to hide up in the car from something and got stuck. The sound was its muffled calls every time the car parts got hot against it. He was just jammed up in there."

I smiled as I took the kitten.

"We should clean him up and see what he is."

He nodded and we went to a guest bathroom and used one of the organic hair shampoos to clean him up. Surprisingly the dirty little thing was actually white. With big blue eyes.

"He looks like a Persian to me."

Jordan looked to me before looking back to the cat. He shrugged. I looked up Persian kittens and the little guy looked like one of the first pictures to pop up. I showed Jordan and he finished blow drying the kitten.

"So you're a Persian?"

The kitten tilted its head.

"I don't think he knows what breed names are, Baby. He is a cat after all."

"You wanna keep it?"

I looked to him. I've never had a pet bigger than a goldfish. In my entire 30 years of life. And every goldfish died in less than a month.

"I'm not good with pets."

He laughed as he nodded.

"I know. You forget to cook at least twice a week. But I always remember to feed you. And I did sort of have a pet at the home. A stray that hung around. I fed him a biscuit every day. I'm sure I can remember to feed this guy."

"You sure," I asked, uncertain.

He nodded.

"What should we name him though?"

I thought a second.

"Well you found him. You name him."

"Actually Jackson found him. I just brought him home to show you."

"Jackson it is. JackJack for short."

He smirked at me before looking to the cat.

"He needs stuff."

"After we eat we can go to the pet store. I'll give him a can of tuna until then."

He nodded and we took Jackson downstairs. I put him in a shoebox I was going to throw away along with some napkins for cushion. He sat next to us as we ate and washed our plates and forks. We headed to the nearest pet store. Jordan drove as I held Jackson. We picked up a couple litter boxes for upstairs and downstairs, scratch posts, cat condo perches, some toys, food and hygiene products.

After getting home Jordan set up stuff and put one of the litter boxes, a scratch post and condo perch in his old room. He showed it to Jackson before setting up the other litter box in an empty corner of the living room. He put a scratch post by the chair and a condo perch next to the window.