Chapter 13

Jordan

Since I took Dez to my old neighborhood she'd been keeping in contact with Mrs. Hoffman. She tried to get the older woman to come live with us. But Mrs. Hoffman was adamant about staying in her home. J'dasia had spent a couple weekends here. She now knew Dez was trying to legally adopt her. I was still working at the mechanic's shop. And catering to Dez when I was home. In one more month my baby would be arriving. We couldn't wait.

"Young Buck!"

I stood from under the hood of an old school Caddy. Mother Charlotte waved me into the office. I wiped my hands on a tattered rag and walked in to see her holding the phone up.

"Baby Milli coming early," she chuckled.

I took the phone and put it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Baby!"

I could hear Dezurae trying to do the breathing shit.

"Milliana's coming!"

I looked up to Mother Charlotte.

"Already clocking you out."

"Baby, I'm on my way."

I handed the phone back to Mother Charlotte and rushed out.

"CONGRATULATIONS YOUNG BUCK!!!"

I waved to my coworkers as I sped out the lot. Dez would kill me if I didn't make it to our baby's birth. I sped through traffic all the way home. Thankfully missing any police patrols. I pulled up to our door to see Mrs. Hoffman smoking a joint on the steps.

"How is she?"

She flicked her ashes.

"Doing well considering. She was in the middle of a home inspection when  the contractions started. She acted like she was fine until the inspector left. Now she doesn't know if she'll make it to the hospital in time."

I rushed inside to see Dezurae sitting on her loveseat rubbing her belly in a circular motion as J'dasia wiped sweat from her forehead with a rag.

"Baby!"

I rushed to her.

"What are we going to do?! I can't have my baby here! What if something happens?! Who's gone save her?!"

I scooped her up and J'dasia followed as I ran out to my mustang, bypassing the Benz I usually drove. I placed Dez in the backseat and Mrs. Hoffman climbed in with her. J'dasia rushed out the house dragging Dez's hospital bag and a diaper bag. I helped her and she climbed in the passenger seat. Then we were off to the hospital. And with the help of my racecar, which she didn't like, Dez was soon on a delivery bed and pushing our daughter out.

"One more big push, Dezurae! And push!"

Dez gripped my hand as she pushed down toward her pelvis. The nurses cheered as Milliana came free. The cheers quickly died down as she remained silent.

"Why isn't she crying," Dez demanded. "What's wrong with my baby?!"

They rushed to the other side of the room after cutting her cord. Dez began to panic as she looked to me and tears began to spill from her eyes. I kissed her temple and whispered to her trying to keep her calm as my own terror rampaged through me. And a moment later.

"Waaaaaaahh!"

Our baby girl filled the room with her cries. Dez pulled me to her and kissed me as they once again cheered. A nurse brought Milliana over and handed her to Dez.

"Just a little fluid blocking her passageway. She's fine."

Dez smiled down to our beautiful baby girl.