Chapter 19

Jordan

I awakened to a breeze drifting over my body and the sound of waves hitting the shore. I looked to my left to see my wife not in bed. But she was standing out on the balcony a few steps away. I stood and pulled on my basketball shorts. I walked out to the balcony and wrapped my hands around her from behind. A second later a wet drop fell on my forearm.

"Baby, are you crying?"

She shook her head and wiped at her face. I turned her to me to see her eyes full of tears and slightly puffy.

"Baby, what's wrong?"

She went to move away from me. But I stopped her.

"Talk to me."

She looked up at me.

"Your mother called."

I had to remind myself to remain calm already knowing where this was going.

"She kept calling. So I figured it must be important. I answered to tell her you were asleep. Apparently word of our marriage was in papers back home. The things that woman called me."

She started to cry as she buried her face in my chest. I wrapped my arms around her.

"I have never been talked to like that," she sobbed. "You said she couldn't make it to our wedding. She said she didn't want to come. She said she hates me. And that I'm a whore and I'm brainwashing you and-"

"Baby stop."

I lifted her head and kissed her lips to quiet her. She stared at me in silence.

"We don't care what people think. Remember?"

I wiped her tears as I spoke.

"Especially my mama. She gave me up when I was 8. You know that. That speaks to what kind of woman she is. Hell she hates me too. But she's not involved here. I married a woman who loves me as much as I love her. My mom can stay bitter, hateful and lonely. I don't care. You know you're not a whore. And how could you have possibly brainwashed me when I'm the one that was after you?"

She rested her head on my chest as I rubbed her back in a soothing manner.

"I'm glad you weren't raised by her."

I chuckled as I replied, "Me too."

I lifted her head and she smiled to me. I kissed her forehead. I was showing her that everything was alright. But inside my rage was boiling. Leave it to my ain't shit mama to try to ruin this for me and my wife. There's a reason I never wanted Dez to meet her. I never wanted my girls to know her. She's toxic and hates a happy family. Misery loving company is the perfect description of her life. There's a reason I speak to her no more than once a year. But I'd handle her ass for hurting Dez's feelings so badly.

"So how about we use our last day on this boat to do something amazing with our girls? I'll take care of the dragon lady some other time."

She nodded and smiled to me.

"I just have to call someone at my father's company right quick," she whispered. "I'll join you in the shower in a minute."

I kissed her lips and walked back into our room. I started the shower and tossed my shorts before stepping in. It was time for me to finally see my mom face to face. I hadn't seen her since I was 14. She told me my father's real name and slammed the door in my face. I swore I wouldn't see her ass again. But her trying to hurt my marriage was grounds for a personal visit.

Dez soon joined me in the shower and I helped her wash her back before allowing her to wash mine. We finished washing ourselves and got dressed in our swimwear before heading to get our girls.