Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The next morning I woke up and prayed that Nick was in the other bedroom or in the living room on the sofa but to my dismay I noticed Nick still wasn't here. He was grown up and clearly capable of making his own decisions like I was. I happened to have made a ton of bad decisions when it came to handling things when I was upset but now I had to live with the consequences.

Making my way outside, I noticed it was nearly eleven already. I decided that if Nick didn’t want to train that I would do it on my own. I decided to make my way over to the garden. Unexpectedly upon opening the gate I saw Nick.

"I didn't think you'd come.” Nick seemed oddly surprised.

"Course you'd think that, well I'm here." I didn't mean to bite his head off but I was turning into an emotional nutshell. I pulled off my sweater anyways and tossed it to the ground.

"First lesson is on how to throw a punch."

Nick showed me the proper way to throw a punch and he was the target which made me slightly happier. I didn't say a single word and just followed his instructions. I was still hitting when Nick spoke.

"Why are you so angry with me?" Nick asked looking at me warily. Was he really that oblivious or did he actually care?

"I'm not.” I lied flatly before pursing my lips shut so nothing else would come out.

Nick sighed. " Why are you ignoring me then?"

"Just thinking that's all.” I continued punching him, refusing to look him in the eyes.

"Care to elaborate?" He tried to make eye contact but the more he tried the angrier I got. Now he cares? He should have cared last night instead of sucking face with Trish.

"Nope." My punches got harder they were almost moving Nick. The thought of them kissing popped back into my head.

I got so aggresive I felt myself snapping. You want to know why I'm mad? No sugar coating, half-truths here. "Fine, I'm mad you regretted our kiss.”

Nick didn't say a word, seemingly relieved. If he thought this was progress, he'd be in for a surprise.

"I'm mad that you act like a jealous boyfriend when you don't want me." I kept going, knowing I was on the point of no return. No taking back verbal/emotional outbursts.

"I'm mad you kissed my cousin." I had him backed up but he took my punches like a champ.

"-And I'm mad that out of every guy out there, I'm falling for you.”

Nick fell right over and I tripped on top of him. Just like in the movies the girl who likes the guy ends up right on top of him before they kiss, but this was real life. My breathing got heavier my eyes met his and I couldn't read them at all. I hated that I couldn’t tell what he thought or felt. I leaned close not taking my eyes off his and whispered.

"You sure know how to break a girl's heart." I felt myself still shaking as I got up and left, that lesson was over.

As I was walking down to the lake I couldn't believe I just said all that. I spilled my guts, opened my entire heart knowing I was already rejected. I knew love made you do crazy things but come on. I was so frustrated I didn't want to be around anyone, so after hours of walking around I decided to walk all the way back to the Ashmore's where I could definitely use some sleep.

It was about an hour later when I got there, Riley was fixing the steps on the deck out front.

"Ali, hey you want to give me a hand over here?" He looked at me strangely like he was hiding something.