16. Poker

Light sat there quietly. He seemed serious. Not "this is bad" serious. But "I'm going to win this" serious. And when the others kept raising their bids, and he kept matching up to them, they finally folded. And Light won a big amount of money. In fact, he had the worst hand that was possible. A 2 of hearts and a 4 of spades. There were no pairs that matched his cards, nor there any straights or flushes. He had won that hand using only his poker face.

Everyone groaned, "as if we believed you had a great hand?" Matsuda whinged.

"It was his face," L said, "he has some seriously good poker face."

Everyone was silent before Matsuda broke the silence again. "Uh, L, that sentence didn't make sense."

"What?" L asked.

"The sentence that you just said. It didn't make sense."

"Sure it does. I always make sense." L retaliated.

"Well, that one 'he has some seriously good poker face' does not make sense." Light commented. "I understand what you mean, but that sentence doesn't make sense."

"How can it not make any sense if you understood what it means?" L asked.

"It's very bad Japanese okay?" Light snapped, getting irritated.

The Janitor walked in. "Just listen to them, I heard what you said, and even I know that's very bad English."

"Japanese." Matsuda interrupted.

"Japanese, same thing. Anyway. You should have said something like 'he has a seriously good poker face'."

L looked at each of their faces silently. "Bah! Fine, sorry. I'm sorry I'm not perfect enough for you guys." With that, he stood.

The group groaned. "Oh, come on L, don't be so immature, sit down." Light said.

"No, since you guys are perfect and I'm not, I better leave."

At that point the Doctor came in, "how's it going kids?" he asked, "playing nice?"

There was a silence and an awkward turtle was crawling across the carpet. The Janitor picked the turtle up. "Ah, Norbert, there you are. I've been looking all over for you."

They looked at him, "you have a pet turtle?"

"No, this is tonight's dinner." The Janitor said cooly before putting the turtle into the cleaning cart.

"So, what's happening?" the Doctor looked at the table. "Poker huh? Texas hold 'em?" they nodded. "Cool!" he exclaimed as he sat down.

"Where have you been?" L asked.

"A walk. Then had a visit to the Mayor's." The Doctor said calmly.

"The Mayor's?" everybody exclaimed, except for the Janitor. He was as confused as the Doctor.

"Why?" Light asked, getting tense.

"Long, long story." The Doctor said.

There was a silence as they waited.

"Oh, you actually want me to tell you?" the Doctor said.

"Duh..."they growled.