Chapter 3: Crossroads

Dustin's POV

"Hey."

"Hey, thanks for coming. I really need your help," I stepped aside to let her in. As we walked into the living room, I began to explain. "I've done everything that I could possibly do to calm Jayden; I've fed him, changed his diaper, tried rocking him to sleep, and took him for a walk around the neighborhood, but he's still upset. I don't know what else to do."

"May I?" she asked as she walked over to Jayden. She picked him up and began talking to him. "What's the matter sweetie? You miss your mommy?" She walked around the room with him and rocked him. It only took a matter of minutes for Jayden to finally calm down. I watched as Jayden laid his head on her chest and closed his eyes. I watched as Faith interacted with Jayden. I sighed. If only Jayden was hers, I would be more than content. It only brought up memories of what could've and should've been.

I immediately shook my head of those sad thoughts, and focused on the present.

"What exactly did you do?" I asked.

"Nothing much. I guess he just needed a woman to calm him down. Plus, your baby likes boobs. Figures." She smirked at me, and then placed Jayden in his play pen. I sighed with relief. I was so glad that she was here. I would've went crazy if she didn't come.

I don't see how Loissa does this on a daily basis; just imagining and experiencing what she goes through, it only made me respect her more.

"You know Loissa would be so upset if she realized that I was here," she laughed.

"Yeah, but she'll be alright. She doesn't have to know," I replied. "Wanna sit down for a bit? That is if you're not busy."

She looked at her watch. "Sure. I think I can spare a few minutes." She sat down on the couch and I joined her.

"So what's been up with you?" I asked.

"Nothing much. Just working. What about you?"

"Same, trying to take care of little man, getting ready to move out," I replied.

"That's good. Have you found a place?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, there's a few places that I've got in mind."

"That's good. You know, I'm proud of how far you've come," she complimented.

I slightly smiled. "Thanks."

"You don't seem to happy when I said that," she sounded concerned.

"I'm fine. Don't worry," I got up and walked into the kitchen.

Faith's POV

That was weird for him to just walk off like that. I got up and followed him to see what was up.

"What's wrong Dustin? And don't tell me there isn't anything wrong because I can tell when there is," I said as I leaned on the counter beside him and crossed my arms waiting for an answer.

"I just....I don't want to talk about it," he said as he tried turning away from me.

I turned his body back towards me and grabbed his face so he could look at me.

"No! What's wrong with you? I'm not leaving here until I get an answer," I said sternly.

He exhaled.

"It doesn't matter what's wrong with me," he said as he got out of my grip.

"Yes it does matter. We're best friends and you know how much you mean to me," I said.

"Are we best friends? Do I really mean that much to you Faith?" he asked.

I was caught off guard by his questions.