Chapter Twelve

"The test came back positive,"

Camila closed her eyes and tried to let it sink in.

She was pregnant. There's a human growing inside of her right that very second. It was all very overwhelming and she started to feel a bit sick.

"Camz. Breath," Lauren said shakily, bringing Camila back to reality. Camila looked at Lauren who's eyes were filled with adoration, and not disgust which is what she expected.

"I'm pregnant?" Camila questioned, her eyebrows furrowed as she stared at Lauren.

"You're pregnant," Lauren confirmed, pulling Camila into her as she took a moment to take it all in herself. "You're pregnant," She whispered, more to herself that time.

"Are you keeping the baby?" Dr Hart asked and Camila whipped her head up with her eyebrows furrowed together and a ludicrous expression on her face.

"Of course I'm keeping the baby," Camila said clearly, earning a supportive squeeze from Lauren.

"I've put you in for a check up in a couple of weeks as you're already coming up to about a month along," Dr Hart said as he tapped away at his keyboard. "Any questions?" He asked, clasping his hands together and turning to face the couple.

"What will I need to do different now?" Camila asked quietly, because she honestly had many questions.

"No drinking or smoking. I'll give you some vitamins to take. No heavy lifting and try to avoid strenuous activities. Just make sure that you look after yourself and I must warn you, and also your fianceé here, that you will be getting cravings, some more unusual than the other and you'll probably also experience some mood swings now and again. That's the mandatory information for now but don't hesitate to call if you have anymore questions," He said, not taking enough breaths in Camila's opinion. He signed the prescription and handed it to Camila. "Anything else?" He asked.

Um, no," Camila said quietly. "Thank you," She mumbled as she made her way to the door. Dr Hart gave them a small smile as they left, Camila clutching the small prescription tightly in her hand. Thankfully, the chemist was just across the road so they handed in the prescription and waited for around five minutes before they were handed the vitamins and were back in the car.

The car ride back was very quiet, Camila had her eyes trained out the window, a tear slipping from her eye every once in a while. The only sound filling the car was the music from the radio which neither girl was really paying attention to. By the time they had gotten home, Camila had drifted off to sleep, her head leaning against the window. Lauren had the car parked for about five minutes, simply staring at Camila who looked so peaceful. The older woman subconsciously placed her hand on top of Camila's stomach and stared at it, even though her stomach was still flat. Lauren left her hand there as her mind started to spin up the future.

She pictured jogging to McDonald's at ten in the evening and buying a large strawberry milkshake and a few packs of the fries then heading back home and giving them to Camila. Or maybe she would crave something else, like jelly or something bizarre like pickles.

She thought about what would happen when Camila goes into labour. Would Lauren be with Camila or out somewhere? Either way, she knew that she would go as fast as she could to make sure Camila was at the hospital and in safe hands for the baby to be delivered and she knew that she would stay by her side and hold her hand, trying to help her calm down.

She thought about waking up and walking into the kitchen to see Camila with her back to her, a small baby on her hip as she sliced up some banana. "One for me and one for you,". The baby would babble some incoherent words and giggle at Camila's silly face as she spun them around. The thought made Lauren smile.