Chapter Four - Wings

Harley smiled at me nervously. She knows what I'm capable of doing, especially when I'm mad. "To be honest, it kinda looks nice." She said, examining the tattoo. I can't blame her for keeping positive, that's always something I remembered her for, always looking at the bright side of everything. "That's not really helping at all." I sighed, calming down a bit. I jumped off the table and we both walked out of the room. My neck was still red and hurt a lot. On our way down the hallway we passed one of Joker's henchmen, his main man. I'm pretty sure his name is Frost, Jonny Frost. "Hey Jonny." Harley smiled, giving him a small wave. Yep, I was right. He gave us both a warm smile back. Then the smile disappeared to a frown. He must have noticed the tattoo. "He uh... he branded you huh?" He asked, scratching the back of his head. I nodded my head slowly, avoiding eye contact. With a small nod, he carried on with his way. Harley took me back to my room, where we just lay bored on my bed. Suddenly the door slams open, and Joker walks in. We both scowl at him and completely ignore his presence. "I'd be careful if I where you, you don't want to piss me off even more than I already am Angel." He said, walking up to us. I couldn't care less about what he says, I hate him so much. I just rolled my eyes, "Whatever." I mumbled . Suddenly he charged at me, pulling me off the bed by my wrist. His face was inches away from mine, and he look very annoyed. "You're pushing it." He said through gritted teeth. I was slightly scared, but didn't show it. In the corner of my eye I could see Harley trying her best not to crack up laughing. Was there something funny bout all this? Then again, she is insane, thanks to Joker. "So Puddin, did ya know that Angel here has perfect aim?" Harley asked, resting her arm on my shoulder. With a small growl, Joker nodded his head. "I am quite aware Harley." He snapped, the smile on Harley's face disappeared. "Oh. Well do you know that Maddie has..." I quickly put my hand over her mouth, stopping her from continuing. If Joker found out, if he doesn't know already that I have wings, god knows what sort of torture he will give me. Joker raised his eyebrow, curious for Harley to finish her sentence. "Um, nothing. Don't worry." Harley removed my hand and smiled innocently, well as best as she could. To be honest it wasn't very convincing, but Joker just shrugged his shoulders and turned to leave us. "Oh and Angel, in exactly one hour you will meet me in my office." He smiled, then left. "Or what." I quickly blurted out before he left. "I think by now you know what." He laughed that horrid laugh. How much I want to slap him in the face, it's unbelievable.

I starred over at the alarm clock on the bedside table. 10:49. I had to go see Joker soon, but I had no idea what for. I hope it's not like last time I went in there. "Knock knock." A friendly and familiar voice called from outside my room. A relieved smile spread across my face. "Come in." I answered. Aston slowly opened the door and walked in, a warm smile on his face. But the smile quickly disappeared. "Oh my god Maddie, what did he do? Wait, don't answer that." He ran over to me and ran his fingers over the stupid tattoo. "The jerk branded me." I sighed, lying down on my bed. Aston sat next to me, not taking his eyes off of me. "Yeah he is a pretty big jerk huh." "Sucks that we both have to work for him." I sighed, patting the bed next to me gesturing him to lay down. "If you hate him so much, why are you here?" I asked, worried if I might have asked a personal question. "Well, it all happened so fast. He threatened my family, so I had to join him, or.. well I think you get it." He stared blankly up at the ceiling. We lay there for a bit, in a kind of awkward silence. "So is it true?" Aston turns over to face me, leaning on his elbow. "Is what true?" I ask, doing the same. "Do you really have wings?" I would consider Aston as my friend, even though I just met him. Hardly anyone knows about my wings, only my close friends know. But I trust him, so i think it wouldn't hurt to tell him. Right? I got off the bed and stood up straight, then spread out my wings. They are feathered, black, and very soft. But they are also very strong. Aston's jaw dropped in awe. "They're so beautiful, like you I guess." He walked over to me and reached out to touch them, but then hesitantly stopped. I nodded, signalling him he could touch them. I can't remember the last time someone has called me beautiful. Though my parents did say quite a bit that they have a beautiful daughter. I miss them so much. Why did it have to happen to them? Why did they have to die in that accident? It's not fair. Life's not fair. Then I remembered, "Oh shit I gotta go see Joker!" I hid my wings and ran out of the room, not even saying bye to Aston.

I ran downstairs and down a hallway till I arrived at a wooden door with 'HA HA HA' painted in red on it. "Typical." I whispered to myself as I knocked on the door. I had absolutely no idea what was installed for me. "Enter." A husky voice called. I slowly opened the door, only to find Joker at his desk which was covered in guns. "Um, what is this?" I asked as I walked in, closing the door behind me. "Cheerleading try outs." He answered sarcastically. I just rolled my eyes. I'm so annoyed right now. "No seriously, what is this?" I asked again, picking up one of the hand guns. "I want you to show me how talented you are." He smiled. Behind Joker was two of his henchmen, one of them being Frost, both holding machine guns. Joker pointed behind me to where the metal table is, but I front of them were about five or six metal dummies dressed up as clowns, with targets painted on their shirts. Not surprising. Then an idea sprung into my head. What if I didn't shot the targets? I turned back around to face Joker and pressed my gun against his head. He didn't move, not even flinch. Frost and the other henchman though aimed their machine guns at me. " Oh you really shouldn't have done that." The clown laughed, only making me press harder. "Really? Why's that?." I whispered. He just laughed harder.  "This gun is loaded and you know it. I can kill you right now." I said, my breath increasing. Don't judge, I was nervous. I had two machine guns aimed at me, so you know, no pressure. "Do it." He said simply, with an entertained smile on his face. He was really pushing it now. I pulled the trigger and... a pole stuck out of the barrel with a red flag on the end of it that said 'HA HA Joke's On You'. Really, again? Joker started laughing at his little joke, I just threw the gun across the room. But once Joker started to calm down he gave Frost and the other goon a look. I guess it meant for them to leave the room, cause that's what they did. Joker then quickly got out of his chair and walked around to me. My heart beat increased, a lot. A wicked smile spread across his face as he pulled out a dagger from his coat pocket. Oh shit. He suddenly grabbed my hair and harshly pull me to the closest wall. I screamed out in pain, that was all I could really do. Once my back was against the wall he put his hand over my neck and started choking me. I could hardly breath, and felt like I was gonna pass out or something. With the dagger started wildly cutting me on my arms and face. I felt so weak, so useless. I could feel my blood dripping down my body. Once he was finally satisfied, he dropped the dagger and put his lips up to my ear. "Don't you ever try anything like that again." He said slowly, but I could hear his anger. Then he just dropped me and I fell to the ground. Everything hurt. My arms, my throat, everything. I watched him slowly walk out of the room, laughing as he does so.