Chapter Forty-Seven: Amber Eyes

“Whoa, a wanderer.” Ash said, looking at me in surprise as though he didn’t realize it before.

    Natalie rolled her eyes in a friendly manner. “You just figured that out?” she asked, folding her arms over her chest.

    “I’ve only seen one.” he said, throwing an iron spike at the target with such accuracy that I was sure that it made a dent in the wall.

    He smiled at himself and looked to me for a reaction. “A makibishi. They are so fun to throw. Easy like a ninja star, productive like a blade.” Ash told me, and I nodded.

    Makibishi. I liked the name. It suited him.

    “Shredder?” I asked instead, wondering who the other wanderer he had known of. Ash was quiet for a moment, his smile faded.

    “It’s hard to find a wanderer. Shredder was extremely cautious about it. It was only when we were, um, in dimension x, that they explained his powers. What was the additional substance in the mutagen.” Ash replied, and I looked down.

    I understood what that meant. “His blood.” I said in a half-whisper, and I felt Ash’s hand under my chin.

    He made me look at him, and he had a kind smile on his face. “Yeah, well, I guess we kind of have ourselves to blame too.”

    “What do you mean?” I asked curiously, wondering how any of what had happened to all of these people be their faults, and Ash placed one hand on his hips like one would hold a basketball.

    “We did join the foot after all.” he replied, and then he threw another makibishi.

***

    “You’re pretty good at this.” Sebastian said with an approving look. I smiled as I launched another arrow.

    Sebastian was the guard from my Anna dream, and he was the one in the room in real life with Natalie and I.

    He had broad shoulders like the rest of the boys, and he was the height of Leo, so I could look at him in the eyes.

    Sebastian had raggedy hair that suited him nicely. His hair was a mixture of brown and red, and his eyes were icy blue…like Seth’s.

    The weapon he used was double sickles that he called kamas’. I didn’t know his special powers, if he had any at all, but it seemed like such a sore subject.

    How can you live with that shame? Clara’s voice rang into my head. I actually kind of wanted to smile.

    It sounded like Raph.

    How much I missed all of them. I wondered how they were doing, and if they got my note.

***

        Karai

***

    All I could get was yelling. It was something about Shredder. And the only thing I could actually see was black walls and the symbol of the foot.

    That wasn’t a good sign.

    “Are you sure?” Leo asked for the hundredth time as we walked through the forest. I sighed.

    “Yes.” I replied too sharply than I wanted.

    Mikey was groaning of boredom and exhaustion, but no one said anything about it. My legs ached as well, and I wondered how Ellie had gotten this far without hurting herself.

    Hmm. I thought. She’s strong.

    Soon, we came to what seemed to be a road. I was confused at first, but when we came closer, I realized that it was a street. An entire street of what looked like abandoned apartments and shops.