9. I Nanwennas an Daur-nu-Fuin [The Return to Mirkwood]

The journey through Taur-nu-Fuin was tough. I could feel the thick air pressing on me right away. I turned around and counted all the Dwarves more than once, but that still didn't relieve me of the feeling that something was wrong.

The path was doing everything it could to try to lead us astray: some parts were covered with a thick layer of leaves, making it almost impossible for us to see where it went next. Sometimes it took sudden turns, forcing us to walk slowly and keep our eyes on the path. Despite me knowing the way, I still found it very hard to keep heading in the right direction.

I hadn't often stepped into the woods when I still lived in Thranduil's kingdom: it was dangerous and we were warned not to go there unless absolutely necessary. There had been many incidents of disappearing younglings who were never found again.

And now it was even more dangerous than I remembered. The forest had been affected by a growing evil in my absence.

I could hear the Dwarves behind me complaining about headaches and the air.

"Try not to breathe in too much of it if it starts to affect you," I told them. We took a turn to the left and I could see the enchanted stream running right in front of us. The bridge was there also, but only it wasn't complete. A big part had collapsed and fallen into the river. There was no way to cross it, not anymore.

"We found the bridge!" Kíli announced to the Dwarves in the back who still had to take the turn and see the stream for themselves. I waited for everyone to gather.

"Oh," Bofur said when he saw the state of the bridge. "We could try and swim it."

"Didn't you hear what Ithilwen said?" Thorin told him.

"We are absolutely not swimming," I said. "The waters of this stream are enchanted."

"Doesn't look very enchanting to me," Bofur said, staring into his own reflection in the water. He wore a dazed look and I reminded myself that I had to get the Dwarves far away from the stream quickly. They didn't have the years of experience form living in Taur-nu-Fuin, making their minds more easily affected than mine.

"We must find another way across," Thorin said, looking around.

"These vines looks strong enough," Kíli said. He grabbed one of the thick vines that hung over the stream. They were wide enough to walk on and I hoped they were also strong enough.

"Kíli!" Thorin said as Kíli prepared himself to climb. He stopped and turned around to look at his uncle.

"We send the lightest first," Thorin said. We all turned our heads to Bilbo, who shook his head quickly. A few moments later he was standing on one of the vines, carefully moving his large hairy feet.

"It's alright," he said, grabbing a vine. "Can't see any problem." His hand suddenly slipped away and he fell with a yelp. Luckily for him, he had wrapped his legs around the thick vine and was now hanging upside down from it.

"There's one," he said dryly. "Everything's fine." He grunted and grabbed another vine, lifting himself on his feet. He fell again and grabbed another vine to prevent himself from falling into the water. He was now hanging only a few centimetres above the water, his nose almost touching it. He gazed at his own reflection.

"Bilbo," I warned. I couldn't see his eyes, but I was sure they were as dazed as Bofur's had been. He couldn't give in to the enchantment.

And he didn't. He shook his head a few times to clear his mind and continued to climb. He finally managed to jump on the shore. The Dwarves all walked towards the vines, guessing that if Bilbo could do it, they could too.