13. I Bâd an Erebor [The Path to Erebor]

The Master had offered us a few bedrooms in his mansion to sleep in, which we accepted gratefully. I got a bedroom of my own while Bilbo and the Dwarves all shared a few bedrooms. I had protested against it, but they all said that it wasn't a problem. So I was lying in my bed now, listening to the sound of water outside.

I was just about to close my eyes to try to fall asleep when I heard a knock on my door. I climbed out of bed and quickly opened the door. Thorin was standing there, smiling at me.

"You should do that more often," I told him, pointing at his smile and trying to maintain a serious face. "Looks good on you." I grinned and he laughed. I sat down on my bed and looked at Thorin as he closed the door.

"So," I began. "We're almost there." He nodded.

"It's strange to think of it," he told me. "It has been a very long time since I last saw Erebor."

"Do you think the dragon is still there?" I whispered. Thorin shrugged and sat down next to me.

"I hope Smaug is gone, but there's still the possibility that he isn't," he said honestly.

"So what are you planning to do if he's still there?" I asked.

"Try to kill him," he answered simply and I snorted.

"It's a dragon," I told him. "He can only be killed by a Black Arrow. Do you have one in your possession?" He shook his head.

"No, but we'll think of something," he said. "But enough depressing talk about dragons. How are you?" I shrugged.

"Fine, I guess," I answered honestly.

"How was it like to see the Elf —"

"— Dagárion," I interrupted him.

"Dagárion," he corrected himself. "How was it like to see him again?"

"It was definitely weird..." I said, fiddling with my hands. "I mean, we've been through so much together and..." My voice broke off.

"He still loves you..." Thorin finished my sentence, avoiding my gaze. I looked at his saddened face and grabbed his hands, squeezing them reassuringly.

"But I don't love him anymore. I love someone else now," I told him, smiling. He looked at our hands and then into my eyes, leaning in slowly. I took the hint and kissed him, feeling his rough beard prickle on my mouth. We stopped kissing and pressed our foreheads together. I looked into his eyes and smiled.

"You know, there is something I have been wanting to ask you," Thorin began, fidgeting with his hands.

"Which is?" I asked, smiling at his nervousness.

"Can I have the honour of braiding your hair?" he asked, gesturing at my hair, which was still down. I thought it was an odd question, but I guessed Dwarf standards were different than ours.

"Of course you can," I told him. "You don't have to ask."

I moved to a cross-legged position with my back to Thorin. I felt him grab a few strands of my hair and braid them. He did it with the utmost care, as if afraid I might break. I liked that about him.

"You should be a little careful around Kíli," I said.

"Why?" he asked, still braiding my hair.

"The arrow that hit his leg was poisoned," I explained. "I have tried to clean the wound, but I don't know how long it can prevent the poison from spreading. He needs a physician." Thorin fell silent and stopped braiding my hair.

"Thorin?" I asked, turning my head around to look at him.

"I'll keep that in mind," he said, turning my head around again with his hands. He resumed his attempt at braiding my hair.