Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Jackson dropped me off at Mel’s house with a smile on his face.  “Good luck,” he said before turning back around and leaving me alone at the house.   Guess I didn’t have a choice now.

I knocked on the door once and heard someone shout “Come in!” from inside.  I opened the door and walked in.  Mel was sitting on the couch watching TV, although she didn’t seem very into whatever she was watching.

She patted her hand on the cushion next  to her with a small smile on her face.  Once I sat down she said, “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Instead of answering I just handed her the letter my dad wrote.  She gave me a confused look, but started reading it anyways.  As she read the beginning I saw her eyes glaze over, and one tear fell down her cheek.  I figured this would happen; Mel was a very emotional person.

But I could also tell when she got to the part about my dad not actually being my father.  Her head shot up to look at me, shock clear on her voice.  “Just keep reading,” I said.

When she was done she just said, “Wow.”

At that I started laughing.  “That was the exact reaction Jackson had.”

Something flashed in her eyes, although I couldn’t tell what.  “Mel, what’s wrong?”

She took in a deep breath.  “I’ve been a horrible friend Riley.”

For a second I was too stunned to reply.  “No, Mel, I was a horrible friend.  I can’t believe I did that, I don’t even like him.”

Mel just shrugged her shoulders.  “You were drunk.  And we both know you don’t handle liquor well.  Remember last time I got you to take just one shot?”

Even though this situation was serious, I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.  “Don’t remind me.”  Everyone knew I never drank, and really I didn’t.  But one time Mel had convinced me to take a shot at a party… and well, she’s right, I don’t handle liquor well.

“And also… well it wasn’t the first time Cole cheated on me.  He does it all the time.”

I just stared at her for a moment.  “Seriously?  Mel… why are you still with him then?”

She took a couple deep breaths.  “I love him.”

“Oh Mel…” I wrapped my arms around her shoulders and hugged her tightly.  “I’m sorry.  Why didn’t you ever tell me all of this.”

She just shrugged.  “Why didn’t you tell me about your dad right after you found out?”

I looked away from her.  The answer was because we weren’t friends then.  But instead I said, “Because we both made mistakes.”

She nodded her head and wiped at her eyes.  “Okay, so now that we’ve gotten past all the mooshy gooshy stuff, do you want to find your father?”

I smiled at her.  She knew exactly why I was here.  “Yes, I’d love to find my father.  Thank you Mel.”