The past

I saw Jack turn in my direction. "'Hello Julia, why are you staring?"'

"I wasn't," I denied letting my hair hide my face.

"'Fine then,"' he said before turning his back on me. '"Take five everyone!"'

I was about to move when he stopped right in front of me, blocking my way.

"'Julia, right? We'll talk after practice?"' he flirted.

"Sure"

**********************************

'Lane!' I gasped back to reality. 'Didn't you hear me, I said get the orders to table 67,'

I put my notebook and pen in my breast pocket just before the tray could be thrust at me. I nodded as I was handed over a tray of food. I made my way past the large number of filled tables as I headed for my destination. Two gentlemen and a lady were seated there.
"I believe this is what you ordered for, "I said in an inquiring tone as I set the food on the table.

"Not quite," one of the gentlemen said.

'No, it's fine,' the other jumped in.

Twins? I started staring to and fro at their faces, the only differences I could spot were the jaw structure and hair color. They both had emerald green eyes and were well suited. My confusion lasted for about a minute or so before I put on a fake smile and walked over to the counter.

'Table 13,' my boss ordered.

His wife had taken me in during that night. I had later offered to help out her husband in his restaurant. One who didn't seem to like me very much. I picked the next tray and hurried off to the table. This went on for a while.

'Take this to table 67,'

"But they already ordered. I served them a couple of minutes ago." I said this thinking that there was some sort of mix up.

'Why you lazy...'he paused. 'You know what, why don't you take the orders and I'll have Dimitri deliver them,' he said with finality.

I took out my pen and notebook and started attending to the customers' orders, complaints if any and giving out the customers' orders at the counter. Someone else would take the orders to the cooks and another would be called to deliver them. The last customers I would serve during the day still sat at table.

"Here's your bill," I said politely. One of them handed me the money as I turned to walk away. I felt a strong arm hold me back. A strange feeling descended my spine. Everything started coming back. My memories.

"Let go of me!" I snapped at one of the twins. His hair a lighter shade than the other's. More like dirty blonde. I suddenly realized that I had shouted at him and took a cautious step back. I was lucky that only a handful of customers were still present besides them. Over the past few days it felt like I was going nuts. I continued walking off ignoring all the eyes glancing at me.

"I need to go out for a while," I picked my coat removing my apron. He nodded without disagreement.

'Just head home afterwards,' he whispered. As I walked out of the restaurant, the cold air hit me hard. It was almost ten pm. I just needed some time alone. Through the corner of my eye, I saw as if someone kept on following me. It couldn't be a coincidence that he had planned to head in the same direction as me for about half an hour. I started running. So did he. The footsteps were coming closer. He was catching up. I turned for less than a second to see the distance between us. Worst decision. My body rammed into a couple of trash cans as I fell to the pavement.