16b

It was almost closing time and there was no sign of Zac. I kept on casting glances at the door as I served the few remaining tables. Maybe I should just close shop. He wasn't coming either way. As soon as the last customers had paid and the tables were clear, Dimitri came up to me.

"Hey... Do you mind cleaning up the place? My mom's sick and I promised I'd get home early to take care of her,"

“Sure... Just go,” I wafted him off absent mindedly.

"I'll owe you one,"

I nodded at his retreating back. I sighed rather too loudly realising my elbows were already tired of leaning against the counter top. I found my eyes glancing at the door once more for Zac, but as before, he was nowhere in sight. I quickly changed back to my clothes before searching for the bucket and mop putting more than necessary soap in the water. This floor was gonna get it today. I sighed again carrying them to the middle of the restaurant before I decided which side I would start from. The good thing with these customers was that they never spilt food on the floor. I therefore saw no need of using the broom. Dimitri always used it... But I wouldn't... More work for no apparent reason? No thanks. I remembered the first time Zac came to the restaurant at night talking about me not locking the door as I cleaned up late at night... Or something about cleaning the tables first. Maybe if I cleaned up the tables first, I'd finally make up my mind on where I'd start mopping from. I took out my phone as I wiped the tables absent mindedly.

Should I call Zac?
But wasn't it clear he didn't feel like talking. Well, at least, to me?
I should call him.
But what if he doesn't pick up?
I should.

Making up my mind, I decided to ring Zac's number. Was I going insane or was his phone somewhere close by? Great. I was going insane. I wasn't about to be one of those dumb teens in horror movies who would follow the sound of the phone call. Why? One answer. They always ended up dead. I wasn't taking that chance.

Oh come on Lane...
No way. I don't wanna die.
Just check it out.
Nope. I'm staying here.
Lane. It's Zac. Just check.
Fine.

Looks like I was going to be no different from all those teens who died in those horror films. I approached the door cautiously and poked my head outside as I rang Zac's number once more. Sure enough, I heard Zac's ringtone. I saw a figure leaning against the wall, hands in pockets. His frame looked like Zac's and so I concluded it was him. But it didn't seem like he was in this world. His mind was elsewhere. I approached him wrapping my arms around his torso which seemed to bring him back to the present.

"Doll. I didn't see you come. What's wrong?"

“Zac... Have I done anything wrong? If I have, I'm so...,” he placed a finger against my lips making me hush. He patted my hair gently as I inhaled his scent.

"Of course you have..." I looked up at him. "To think you have to apologise..."

“Wait...”

"It's not you Doll, I had some family matters to take care of,"

“Nick?”

"He's okay. Father on the other hand, isn't,"

“Let's go inside,” I pulled him after me as we headed back into the restaurant away from this cold. As soon as Zac got in, he headed for the mop and started on one side. Guess I didn't have to figure out where to start from now.
“Give me that...” I tried to grab the mop from him but ended up colliding with his rock hard chest.
“Give it to me...” I struggled to get it as he held it far from my reach teasing me at how impatient I was getting.