21

I walked into the restaurant as usual but my eyes were scouting for someone. Zac. I didn't want to end things with him. But what if Jack was right. I only met Zac because I left him.

"Julia... You are on table duty today," Jason ordered.

“Oh...” I nodded as I left my notebook and pen in my locker and took the table cloths at the ready. Whenever a customer or customers in that matter cleared the bills from their tables, I would immediately wipe them clean to avoid the situation where there were more customers than clean tables. Table duty was the easiest task in this restaurant. It was like I had a free at work. Given that customers rarely ate extremely fast, and even if they did, they never finished at the same time. At least, not all of them. The only downside was that I'd be on table duty the whole day. I looked at my phone a couple of times, like I had grown accustomed to doing ever since I ‘ended things’ with Zac.

Contact:
Zac 💕

I breathed in deeply and shoved my phone back into my pocket just like I had been doing as well and concentrated on my work here at the restaurant. A couple of hours later, I was changing out of my uniform ready to head home. Jason and Luke were still in the restaurant for a reason I still did not know of. I was walking out of the restaurant when a pleasant smell filled my nostrils.

"Don't worry," Zac sighed. "I've not come for you," he breathed as I stepped aside. "Not today at least," his green eyes twinkled in the light of the night sky.

I wanted to hold him but I couldn't. My focus turned to Jack's frame waiting for me beside his van. Zac seemed to notice too, but he just stepped in.

'''What is he doing here?''' Jack asked, obviously referring to Zac.

“He's a customer,” I replied. “He didn't come for me,”

'''Have you already made up your mind?''' Jack asked referring to his earlier question. '''Will you leave with me?'''

“Jack... Please... Let's stop this. You can't ask me to leave the family I got here. They took me in. They welcomed me. They loved me,”

'''What about the family you left behind two years back? We took you in too. We welcomed you too. We loved you too,''' he countered.

“But what about me Jack?”

'''What about me Julia?'''

“Doesn't what I want count?”

'''We are looking at the bigger picture here,'''

“I'm sorry for leaving you then Jack. I really am. But right now, it's not you who I love anymore. I'm sorry but... Our love faded with time. Our memories... They faded,”

'''We'll make new ones,''' Jack held my hand in his. I found myself pulling my hand back. I was sorry I had hurt him. But things were different now. Things had changed. I, had changed. '''Your love for that pretty boy will fade too. So will your memories. Ours faded right? So can his...'''

“But... I... I don't want them to fade,”

Jack stopped the car suddenly making my body jerk forward in surprise.