4

"Table 19, didn't you hear me?" Jason snapped at me.

I shook the cobwebs out of my head as I grabbed the tray from the counter. Where was my concentration for heaven sake?

“I believe these are your orders,” I said courteously placing the food on the table.

'You believe? Heck, why can't you memorise these things. This is the only work you do. It's not like you have anything better to do,'

You - arrogant - ungrateful - arse. If you had nothing kind to say you could just keep your opinion to yourself? Have nothing better to do? Well, maybe, if I smack you hard in the face...

I took a deep breath and forced a smile.
“I'm glad to be of service. Anything else I can offer you? Any complaints?”

'Well, you can offer yourself...'

Perverted tard.

I took a deep breath again.
“Sorry, that's not in the menu,” I said with a straight face. I didn't want to cause any commotion and make Jason mad at me.

'Come on...' the man said throwing an evil grin my way.

"Excuse me sir," Jason boomed from behind me.

Great. I'm in trouble.

"Any trouble?" he didn't wait for the man to reply. "Great. So better pay up and leave this instant before I call up the police."

'That's impossible, I haven't even touched my food. And what are you gonna charge me with...' he let out a laugh.

"Sexual assault against my workers. Now pay up before things get messy, and leave..." Jason boomed.

The man thought it was a joke before seeing the stern look on Jason, my boss’ face.

'Fine!' the man hissed under his breath and slammed the expected cash on the table.

This caused some customers to look in our direction, but I threw a smile their way and they went on with their meals. I watched the man leave. Good going boss. I respect you.

"Julia, you shouldn't let some customers talk to you the way they want," he said placing his muscular hand on my shoulder. "Today just stick to the counter. I'll take over your job,"

To say that Jason had totally changed in a few minutes was an understatement. Bipolar much? But how did he know that that man was making unnecessary comments and snark remarks?

"Your body language speaks a lot," he said as if replying my self asked question.

I headed to the counter grateful for his intervention. Maybe he didn't hate me after all. Tough love I guess. It had been a week since I last saw Zac.
Maybe he had got bored of me before even knowing me.
Maybe he's just busy.
Maybe he hadn't arrived home safely that night.
You might be over thinking things...
I guess he was bluffing when he said he'd be working here.
Maybe...

"Who are you thinking about?"

I looked up to see Zac leaning against the counter in a waiter uniform? A part of me was happy for no good reason while another was constantly signalling red signs. Luke's words rang in my head. He means something to you right?