Chapter Eight

Sleep had avoided me that night, as I tossed and turned in the bed next to Negan. I wasn't used to sleeping with a man anymore, I'd gone so long being alone that it felt strange now. I let out a frustrated sigh, squeezing my eyes shut in an attempt to force myself to fall asleep. When that failed, I pushed myself up into a sitting position, rubbing my dry eyes with my palms as I yawned. I remembered he had a bathroom attached to this room, a shower sounding appealing at that moment. My feet met the cold floor as I stood up slowly, turning to make sure he was still asleep, and when he didn't stir I tiptoed towards the bathroom. I closed the door carefully once I was in the bathroom, the soft clicking sound assuring me it was shut before I moved to the mirror. Looking at my reflection, I couldn't help but cringe at my appearance; my dirty blonde, almost brown hair was a greasy, tangled mess atop my head, and my eyes were bloodshot from the lack of sleep, the red sticking out like a sore thumb against my skin.
I turned to the shower, pulling the curtain back as I bent over, turning the water on. The cold water hit the bottom of the tub like a waterfall, and I patiently waited until it was hot before stripping off my clothes, stepping in with a soft groan of relief. The warm water hit my skin, running down my front and back, soothing my skin. I reached for the bar of soap, lathering up my hands before washing over my chest and stomach, my fingers lightly grazing over a nasty scar across my lower abdomen. I frowned as the memories flooded my head, quickly shaking it off as I moved to wash my hair, the sound of the door cracking opening alerting me that I was no longer alone. "I'm in the shower." I stated the obvious, hoping he'd take it as a hint to get out. There was a pause, before light footsteps could be heard. "I need to get something from the cabinet." he simply replied, and the cabinet creaked as he opened it, mumbling to himself while he searched for what he needed before there was silence.
The bathroom door was closed, and I was alone once again, but something about that fact bothered me; I wasn't used to feeling completely alone, not with Rick and the others, but I felt that way here. I didn't like it-- not one bit. After about ten minutes, I realized I wouldn't be able to stay in there forever, reluctantly turning the shower off. I closed my eyes, silently praying that things would get better, that this wasn't the last chapter in my life. But what was the point in praying, when that never seemed to work anymore. I'd started off being religious, trusting in God, but as time went by I slowly began to lose faith that he'd help us; I still believed he was out there, just that my prayers weren't as dire as other's. I stepped out, quickly drying off before changing back into my dirty clothes. I ran my fingers through the wet tangles, walking back out into the bedroom, where Negan sat on the bed with a glass of water.
He stood up, meeting me in the middle. "Here, take these." He held out his hand, revealing a couple pills. I furrowed my brow, afraid this was some sort of trick. "What are they?" I asked cautiously, and he blinked a couple times before answering. "They're to help you sleep. Just take them." I hesitated, and he let out a deep sigh. "If I wanted to kill you, I would've done it already." I looked into his eyes, slowly reaching out to take both the pills and glass, and he watched me intently as I popped hem into my mouth before gulping down some of the water. "Thank you," I said softly after a small pause, and he smiled at me before walking back to the bed, and I willingly followed behind.

Author's Note: is love to know what you guys are thinking about this story? Also what you'd like to see more of? Theories? Let me know! :)