Chapter Seventeen

"What's about to happen is gonna be hard to watch. I don't want to do it. I wish I could just ignore the rules and let it slide, but I can't. Why?" Negan asked the large group of people knelt down, who all replied simultaneously. "The rules keep us alive." That is right. We survive, e provide security to others, we bring civilization back to this world. We are the Saviors. But we can't do that without rules. Rules are what make it all work. I know it's not easy. But there's always work. There is always a cost. Here, if you try to skirt it, if you try to cut that corner then," Negan chuckled, "it's the iron for you. On your feet." I watched as everyone stood, a few of his wives consoling another as she cried, looking at the man Negan had tied up to a chair. Dwight brought over an iron, which had been heated in a fire beforehand, Negan putting on gloves before taking it. He looked down at the poor man, who's was trying very hard not to cry. "Mark I'm sorry, but it is what it is."
    He pushed the hot part of the iron into the side of Mark's face, who began to scream in pain, some of his skin peeling off when Negan removed the iron. "Ah, that wasn't so bad, now, was it? Jesus, he pissed himself. Clean that up. Doc, I'm all done, do your thing." He looked down at the man as Daryl came over with a mop. "Well, the pussy passed out. But it's settled-- we're square...everything is cool. Let Mark's face be a daily reminder to him and to everyone else that the rules matter. I hope that we all learned something today, because I don't ever want to have to do that again." He came over to where Carl and I stood, and I clenched my jaw meeting his gaze. "Some crazy shit, huh? You probably think I'm a lunatic. Come on. Let's go figure out what to do with you." he addressed Carl, and as I started to follow behind the two of them he stopped me. "Nah, you wait outside. We'll be out there shortly." I glared, "Please don't hurt him." He chuckled darkly, leaning in. "I ain't gonna promise anything. Just get your ass outside and wait there."
    Minutes seemed to tick by, almost a full hour passing by before Negan and Carl stepped into view. "Let's go for a ride, kid. Daryl! You seem worried, so I'm taking the kid home." Negan announced, and Daryl stepped forward as he grabbed my arm, pushing me into the passenger seat next to Carl. "If you do anything to him...." Daryl started to say, but Negan quickly interrupted as he sat down next to me, shutting the door. "Dwight! Daryl needs a time-out. Put him back in his box for a while." he ordered, flipping Daryl off as the truck began to drive off slowly. He looked at me, scoffing as I frowned at him. "I didn't hurt him. Not yet, at least." I looked away as his hand went to squeeze my thigh, his warm breath hitting my neck when he leaned in. "That could change; it all depends on you sweetheart...I'm starting to get very impatient with our situation." his voice was soft as he whispered, but I could sense the underlining threat in his words, and I bit my lip while trying to focus on the road. My plan was starting to crack.

Author's Note: So things are about to pick up quite a bit (in many ways). Let me know what you think! And I promise it'll be better ;)