The Truth

This morning was my doctors appointment to see how my lungs are. I have lung cancer, if you were wondering. I've had it for 2 months now. It sucks.

"Come on, baby! We're gonna be late!" my mom yells from downstairs.

"I'm coming!" I huff out.

I throw my shoes on, grab my bag, & stumble down the stairs. I almost fell, that being because it's 6am & I am NOT a morning person.

My mom & I get in the car & I turn my Bluetooth on while turning on Spotify. I've been obsessed with Justin Bieber lately, so I turn on some music by him. My favorite, 'No Sense' comes on & I jam out.

About 10 minutes after getting on my mom's nerves by dancing, we pull into the hospital.

"You ready for this?" my mom asks me, rubbing my hand.

"I'm scared, mom." I tell her truthfully.

"I know, baby. But just remember that whatever happens is in God's plan." She tells me reassuringly.

I just nod & open the car door. Walking in the doors, my phone vibrates. It was from Ethan.

'Hey. Grayson & I are praying for you.' is what the texts says.

Trying to hold back tears, I type 'Thanks guys. I love y'all.'

We get to the waiting room & my mom checks me in. I scroll through instagram & twitter while we wait.

"MaKena Bradshaw?" Someone comes out & says.

I slowly stand up & walk towards the voice. I quickly turn around to make sure my mom is right behind me. She just gives me a reassuring smile & holds my hand.

"Alright, room 237, please." the nurse tells us.

We walk in & sit down while the nurse fills out paperwork.

"So you're here for a check up on your chest, correct?" She asks me, not bothering to look up.

"yeah." I say quietly.

The nurse clicks her pen & shuts her book full of paperwork & says, "Okay, Dr.Hill will be in here shortly."

She walks out of the room after smiling gently at my mom & me.

"She seemed nice." my mom says.

"Eh." I respond.

"Hey, let's pray." My mom suggests.

"okay." I whisper.

"God, please help my baby girl. Only you can get her through this. We have faith that you can do anything. Heal my precious MaKena. Please, Lord. Amen." I could tell by her voice that she was trying her best not to cry.

I stand up & walk over to her. I sit in her lap & she craddles me in her arms.

"I love you." I tell her, as I feel a single tear roll down my face.

Moments later, Dr.Hill walks in & says, "Alright, MaKena. Are you ready?"

I just nod gently.

The doctor motions for me to follow her, so I do. She takes me down a long hallway, to a room that has a scary machine in it. I've had this done once before, when they found the disease, I'm just not used to it.

"I'm gonna step outside. You take off your shirt & pants & slip into this, please." She hands me a hospital gown.

Dr.Hill walks out & I slip into the ugly gown.

I hear her voice suddenly say, "MaKena, if you would lay down on the table, it'll start taking you back."

I slowly hop up onto the table & get comfortable, while it slowly rolls back into the machine.

I sit still in the tunnel thing, as it scans over my chest. After what feels like hours, I realize that it's moving me out of the tunnel.

The doctors voice booms, "You may slip your clothes back on."

I jump off the table, take the gown off, & slip back into my jeans & tshirt.

Dr.Hill comes in shortly after & walks me back to the room. As scared as I was, I couldn't help but think about the prayer my mom said. "We have faith that you can do anything."

Why did this happen to me? What did I ever do to deserve this? Why does God want me to be in so much pain?

These questions overcome me & I feel like breaking down. But I know I have to be strong for my mom.

We walk back in my room to find my mom on the phone.

"Alright, I gotta go. I'll call you later. love you, too." She quickly hangs up the phone.

"I have the results in my hand, if you'll just take a seat." Dr.Hill points to the chair sitting against the wall behind me.

I slowly back up & sit down, preparing myself for what I was about to hear.

I can do this.