Great News

Ethan & I make our way into a restaraunt, find a seat, and sit down.

"Thanks for this. I really needed to get away." I blushed.

"You know you can always tell me when you need to get away & me & you can escape." He smiles that gorgeous smile at me.

I blush again and say, "Thanks, E."

The waiter comes by & asks for our drink order. I tell her sweet tea & Ethan says Dr.Pepper.

"So, how are you & Gray?" Ethan asks me, staring down at his menu.

"Well he hasn't tried to apologize so we haven't really talked since-" I get interupted by my phone ringing.

The screen says, "Mere" so I quickly answer.

"Hey, girl. What's up?" I ask her, then realize she's screaming.

"Mak!! I'm moving to Georgia!!" I could barely understand her because she's so loud.

"Wait, what?!" I practically yell back.

"My dad got a job offer down there, we're moving!" She tells me excitedly.

I smile so big. Meredith is my best friend. When I lived in California for the first 10 years of my life, we became friends, best friends. We were inseperable.

We kept in touch over the last 7 years. The reason I moved was the same reason she was moving now. My dad got a job offer, but he ended up leaving us when we moved. He left us everything, though. Money, the house, everything.

"Are you serious??" I ask her, trying to calm myself.

I can hear her crying as she says, "Yes, Mak. We're gonna be together again."

I start crying myself & Ethan looks at me worried.

'I'm okay' I mouth to him. He just nodded & continued looking at the menu.

"I have to call my mom!" I tell her, still crying.

"No, no, Mak. That's the thing. Our moms talked & you know how the house next to yours is open for sale? Well it's not anymore." I could hear her smile through the phone.

This was a dream come true. This was something you'd read in a fictional book. I couldn't believe it was real.

I start sobbing & say, "I'll text you, babe. I'm with Ethan."

The waiter comes by & brings us our drinks.

"So, was that Meredith?" Ethan asks me, sipping on his drink.

The twins know all about Meredith and she knows all about them.

"Yes, she's moving down here- next door!" I tell him.

He tries looking excited but I know he's scared.

"Listen, I know you're afraid that she's going to come in between us. But she's not. I can promise you that, E." I grab his hand & tightly hold it in mine.

"Let's eat." He says, slightly smiling at me, trying to convince me that he's okay.

The waiter comes by and gets our order. We sit there in an awkward silence, both of us being on our phone.

Ethan texts me & I lightly giggle.

"I'm sorry. I love you, Mak." the message read. I knew he didn't mean 'love love', we just always say that whenever something happens between us.

I text him back, "I love you, too, E. Always."

We end up playing footsie while waiting on our food, making small talk. When our food finally comes out, we dig in.

This is my favorite kind of day.

Just me & Ethan, doing nothing special.

Just being together.