Prologue

"This can't be real." I muttered in utter horror as I stared at the ground. Everything around me was slowly wilting, dying, in agony. I looked at my mother and watched as she turned into nothing before my very eyes.

I groaned softly as these wretched memories came floating back to me. I was currently on a date with Chloe Bourgeois. She flipped her hair and blabbed on about her life. We were sitting in a small bakery in Paris. I sighed, hoping that the date wouldn't last too long. Why was I on the date? Well, I just wanted a normal life for once, so when she asked me I obliged. My head turned, and my eyes focused on the girl working the counter of the bakery. She was talking with a customer. I watched her pale hand gently place a bag of croissants into the hand of a boy with glasses and headphones on. She smiled and waved as he left.

"Come back soon, Nino." She said. He waved back as he stepped out of the store.

"Marinette, sweetie? Could you man the store for the next few weeks while your father and I are on a vacation?" A soft voice sounded.

Marinette. Her name felt sweet on my lips. I sighed dreamily as I watched her nod and hug her parents as they took their leave. Once they were gone she walked around, tending to parts of the shop. Suddenly, her eyes met mine. She looked at me curiously before noticing I was sitting next to Chloe. She snickered and raised her hand up, mimicking Chloe's constant chatter with her hand. I chuckled softly.

"What are you laughing about Adrikins? I just told you that my designer shoes got ruined! I would think that you should feel bad for me!" Chloe whined.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, Chloe. Look, I don't want to hurt your feelings, but I don't really like you. Like, at all." I told her bluntly.

She gasped at me. "How could you not like a face as polished as this!" She asked profoundly, gesturing towards her face that was covered in makeup.

"Sorry, Chloe. It doesn't really matter since I'm not really around much." I shrugged.

She huffed, standing up. "I'm taking my leave then! And I'm not paying either!"

I groaned as she walked out of the bakery. I was so short on money that I didn't even know if I could afford the croissant she had gotten. I hadn't ordered anything. I don't have to eat, anyways. I sighed and pulled my wallet out to find it empty. I frowned. "Hey, it's on the house." A voice spoke suddenly.

I looked up to see Marinette smiling at me. Her hair was as dark as midnight, and her eyes glowed like sapphires. I grinned softly at her. "Thanks. I'll pay you back sometime." I said to her.

She shrugged. "It isn't really necessary. We're good enough. Oh, by the way, I'm Marinette." She told me, holding her hand out to me.

"Adrien Agreste." I replied, shaking her hand.

"So, do you live around here?" She asked.

I thought for a moment. "Kind of?"

"Was that a question or an answer?" She asked, giggling softly.

"Both." I told her.

"Well, it was nice meeting you, Adrien." She said smiling. I stood up, smiling back at her.

"It was nice meeting you too, Marinette." I replied.

I walked out of the store, grinning nonstop.

I don't know how, but this girl made me feel so alive.