Part Eight: He Left

I hummed softly as I tended to the bakery around me. In just a few moments I was going to go and visit Adrien. I sighed, wondering if our visits would be the same after what happened. What I told him.

I removed my apron from around my waist and turned the sign in front of the bakery to the closed side. I felt eager to see him, he always did know how to lighten my day. Although, that day was different. When I arrived at his cave I found it barren. I walked into the cave and called for him. "Kitty? It's me! Marinette!"

No response. I turned my head, and something caught my attention. I walked over to a small box that had a piece of paper laying on top of it. I furrowed my eyebrows and picked up the paper. It was a note.

Dear Marinette,

I suppose this is the last you will ever hear of me for a while. It won't be long until I am long gone, dead just like the rest that I have passed by. I thought that when you figured out that you were meant to kill me, you would do it right then. I was wrong. You were too kind. You should have killed me. I should be dead. But no, you had other thoughts. You are too good for me Marinette. I had to leave before I hurt you. I wouldn't be able to stand it if I hurt you. The pain would kill me. I'm sorry. Take this as a present to remember me by. I love you, Marinette. I really do. I wouldn't be able to take it if I hurt you. Please stay strong.

With all the love in the world,
Adrien Agreste

A tear made its way down my face. I quickly flipped open the flaps of the box to see a small, black kitten staring up at me with big, green eyes. I choked back a sob as I lifted it up. My lips trembled. "You my friend, will be Chat Noir." I told the little kitten.

Chat tilted his head at me and licked my hand softly. I held him close to my chest, feeling happy to have something soft to cling to. Questions flooded my mind as I made my way back to the bakery with my new kitten. It all seemed like a blur. I thought that he wanted to stay with me. I actually believed for a few moments that he loved me. And that was the main question that was in the front of my head.

Why would he leave me?